Florida Open Carry

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Daoust_Nat, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

There is some noise being made down here for Florida to change to the Arizona open carry regulations. Naturally that has got people taking sides. What I am pasting in was a letter in the Orlando Sentinel to a columnist. It is pretty funny. One comment is attached by someone who in my opinion is way over the top as a anti gun Nazi. The rest of the uncopied comments were pretty much split in half when I read the letter. For those that don't know of Winter Park, it is a high-rent district outside of Orlando.

From the Orlando Sentinel -

A guide to openly carrying your gun in chic Winter Park.
    This is funny stuff from Dave in Winter Park…

MIKE
    Loved your column on the legal battle for open carry moving to Florida. As a strong Second Amendment supporter, it is a discussion worth having.

My REAL concern however, is how this may impact the fashion world. Consider the following situations-
    - It SHOULD be obvious to anyone that you would never mix a black leather holster with brown shoes. But how can we easily or tastefully introduce Kydex or ballistic nylon into our apparel? Is there hi-tech chic?

- On a more formal note – is it proper etiquette to wear a black gun before dinner?
    - What about wearing a stainless steel handgun with gold jewelry?
    - And how do you address the effect a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig will have on the contours of a linen sport coat?
    - FINALLY – is the open carry just for handguns or would it also apply to shoulder fired weapons? If it does – would locking a bayonet onto ones Springfield M1A be just accessorizing, a display of survivalist chic or a violation against carrying displayed edged weapons?

As you can see – this is NOT trivial stuff. I hope you can shed some light on this topic soon, so we can all avoid the mine field of fashion faux pas. Perhaps an interview with an apparel expert could be a topic for a future column!

Keep it up!
    Dave T.
    Winter Park

A comment from one reader -
    "Gun-toting nutjobs. This country is backwards and uncivilized,, no wonder the rest of mankind hates us."

2. Daoust_Nat

Here is the column that inspired that letter I put into the last post.

//www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinion/views/os-mike-thomas-open-carry-102110-20101020,0,7619137.column

3. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I too find the "Open Carry"issue amusing. I would prefer an environment similar to Vermont. Where any adult, with no felony convictions (and maybe a few other restrictions like sleeping in a padded room....) can carry a handgun concealed.

The crime reducing effect of carrying a handgun lies in the UNKNOWN. Thugs don't commit crimes against people who they THINK might be carrying.

The fashion piece I though was a hoot. I just ordered a black belt so the black "J" hooks on my Crossbreed holster don't stand out as they do on by brown one.... LOL i guess I am a Fashionista.

The original editorial was interesting, but I noticed one small fact, and I say FACT that was skipped over by the writer and maybe should be brought to his attention.

While the Supreme court has allowed the right to carry concealed to remain a State's right, ownership of ANY firearm remains a Federally controlled issue because of the interstate commerce nature of the firearms industry. 21 for handguns and 18 for long guns.

So for the Bone Head to say that an 18 year old should be allowed to walk down the street with his gun on his hip... is just stupid. It is idiots like this guy who fuel the Anti Gun nazis theory that we are ALL wackos.

4. SecPro

SecPro New Member

That was a good one on fashion! I accessorize which gun I want to carry and which holster I want to wear all the time. The wife things its funny as hell!
    As for that anti gunner they're idiots! It'll be nice to have open carry here.

5. Daoust_Nat

[/QUOTE]So for the Bone Head to say that an 18 year old should be allowed to walk down the street with his gun on his hip... is just stupid. It is idiots like this guy who fuel the Anti Gun nazis theory that we are ALL wackos.[/QUOTE]

Actually the column auther is a shooter. He may have gotten a fact wrong, but he is on our side.

6. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

Funny, there are plenty of 18, 19, and 20 year olds open carrying in Virginia. Still no blood in the streets :rolleyes:

7. utf59

utf59 New Member

In Florida it is legal for an 18-year-old to possess a handgun, even though he/she may not purchase a handgun. So if you give a handgun to your 18-year-old, it's perfectly legal for him/her to have it. However, he/she can't get a CWL until the age of 21.

8. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I stand corrected.

Kind of silly though, unless it was done that way, just waiting for a supreme court challenge.... Thanks for setting me straight.

9. utf59

utf59 New Member

It is kind of strange. I always remember it, though, because there was a story in the newspaper some years ago about a sheriff's deputy in my county who wasn't 21. His mother had to buy his ammo. :D

10. SecPro

SecPro New Member

I don't remember the story, but I did witness something first hand at shop I used to go to. I think now there's away around it through Department documentation or something. Key word I think!

11. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

A 18 year old CAN purchase a handgun but just not from a dealer.

As far as the ammo you cant buy it unless its a rifle caliber too.

I hope we get open carry in florida but I just dont see it happening with moderate support from the gun community and overall population who can CCW.

12. JJAMISON

JJAMISON New Member

same here in bama. I like the prospect of responsible people carrying openly or concealed. My view is that at 18 if the federal gov can send him or her to another country and have them kill people with rifles and tanks then a handgun will be fine for carry here. idk what to think about the age restriction on purchases. kinda crazy considering you can buy a shotgun or any rifle but not a personal protection handgun. heck if i am going to a gun fight i would choose a rifle anyday over a pistol.

13. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

Why Open Carry!

As much as I would like to be transported back to the old western era of the late 1800's and be able to ride my horse from town to town with my Colt on my hip, I just do not see the need for open carry in this day and age. However I do think and believe if a law abiding citizen is able to buy a gun, then they should be able to carry concealed without having to purchase a permit. I just don't see why someone has the need to carry a gun so everyone can see the gun. I really feel this is just plain silly and it will create more problems for us gun owners. I have heard all the arguments for and against but as a gun lover and a person who carried one on duty for 12 years, I just can't convince myself that this is a good idea. I think we should put all our efforts into the fight to Keep and Bear Arms instead of pushing the issue for open carry. Does one really have the need to show everyone that he has a gun, well I don't think so. //END//:rolleyes:

14. JJAMISON

JJAMISON New Member

I do. :D

on duty... now for 15+ years.

I still conceal when off duty.

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

While I don't open carry very often - it's nice to have the option. For quick trips I "sloppily" conceal carry by clipping on a paddle holster and pulling a t-shirt over it and this would be illegal in Florida...

16. TNScott

TNScott New Member

In my opinion if you can purchace it you should be allowed to carry it any way you want to. I actually like Kentuckys laws OpenCarry.org lists them as a gold star state anyone 18+ can legally carry open with no permits, no fees, no b.s. You still have to apply to carry concealed. I always loved visiting family and friends in KY when I was younger.

17. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I agree, our CCW laws here in Florida leave something to be desired.

And Open Carry combined with Concealed would DEFINITELY put a damper on some BG's.

We have currently...Concealed Carry, one of the most relaxed Castle Doctrine Laws...and 10-20-LIFE,
    which is putting away bad guys permanently :)
    Our crime rate has dropped steadily since these laws have been activated.

Legal gun owners carrying both openly & concealed would have a additional chilling effect on criminals.

Concealed is great, don't get me wrong, but there needs to be some OPEN-ness in this society.

I'm tired of hiding my guns.

18. Daoust_Nat

I was just in Toronto, Ontario, which has some of the most repressive gun laws around. I was told that even if someone has broken into your home, if they are attacking your wife, you are not allowed to shoot them. The attack has to be on you to justify a shooting. While I was there a home invasion occured that wounded two. Compared to that, what we have in Florida is great.

A couple of the more anti-gun people suggested that we were all down here shooting one another. I told them no, in fact as the gun laws have loosened the crime rate has dropped. I told them a lot of Floridians would have been shooting back, which is making the bad boys think a bit. After all any bullet wound to a home invader probably means a trip to the hospital, which would be a trip to jail.

19. JJAMISON

JJAMISON New Member

I never realized FL was so strict on concealed carry. technically concealed carry is when 75% of the gun is "covered". Here you can throw on the ole paddle holster and put a jacket or loose shirt over it and it is acceptable.

20. TnRebel

TnRebel New Member

So for the Bone Head to say that an 18 year old should be allowed to walk down the street with his gun on his hip... is just stupid. It is idiots like this guy who fuel the Anti Gun nazis theory that we are ALL wackos.[/QUOTE]

Actually the column auther is a shooter. He may have gotten a fact wrong, but he is on our side.[/QUOTE]

but its OK for that same 18 year old to put his life on the line for you in combat in a far away land of sand and desert ? When he has had some of the best firearm training in the world.... just saying :confused: