Florida Non-Resident Permit?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by ninjatoth, Dec 31, 2011.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Am I reading this right off the Florida Non-Resident application,but it pretty much says that I,as a non Florida resident can more or less get a CCW permit if you pass the basic FFL check and have a training course(which they include hunters education certificates that I already have)and all the pics,fingerprints etc?And Florida's permits are recognized here in Michigan.I ask because Michigan goes above and beyond FFL requirements to purchase a gun and consider my mental conditions "mental illnesses",which they aren't,but by MI definition they are so i'm disqualified here,plus here I am required to do an NRA class for $125+$110 for app.I just wonder if I am reading it right,and if so why shouldn't I get a non-resident florida permit and CC here in my home state?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Check with a lawyer, but if it will work, DO IT!!!

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As said, check your state laws. In many states, they do not recognize a non-resident CCW from another state if you are a resident of THAT state.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

From what I see, this will be the case. MICH won't recognize the FLA license if you're not a FLA resident.

If you travel much it might be worth looking into a Utah non-res. It'll allow you to carry pretty much everywhere in your region apart from Mich and Ill. The Utah license is nice because it doesn't expire for 5yrs and is cheap to renew.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity map

5. DX1

DX1 New Member

FL maintains a current list of reciprocity. Michigan, as stated, only recognizes FL permits held by FL residents.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Had my hopes up but darn.I may just go for my Michigan CPL and ask my lawyer about it,or wait until MI goes unrestricted which may happen or may never happen.Seems like i'm in the wrong place at the wrong time,any other state,I mean any that is shall issue EXCEPT Michigan would grant me a CCW.

7. airline

airline New Member

go on their webside. thay have a map of the states for CCW.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you have your CC in your home state it is good in Floida so whats the point in getting a non res. for florida too.

9. DX1

DX1 New Member

Florida only recognizes permits from states that recognize theirs. If you have a Massachusetts carry permit, for example, you can't carry in FL without a FL permit.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Not the point guys. OP can't get a ccw in his home state, but meets the requirements to get a non resident florida permit. He's wondering if a non resident florida permit will work for him in his home state.

And according to his research (I haven't double checked it myself) florida and his home state reciprocate.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

DX1 thats under stood A michigan cc is good in florida but I see he can't have one of those.

Should try to get arother shrink to clear up your issues instead of snealing in the back door. It use to be in florida before all this all this reciprocte stuff he could have got'n one if he could prove a need for protection. Now I think they still run your home state for info.

read question #5 This should answer ninjatoth.. Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, FDACS

12. zebramochaman

zebramochaman New Member

I've had my Florida non-resident permit for a couple of years now. The coolest thing about it is that it was issued by Charles Bronson.:D

13. undumb

undumb New Member

Michigan does not recognize a Fl. Non-res CCW

14. undumb

undumb New Member

If you can't get a Michigan CCW due to mental defect, you won't be able to get a Fl CCW for the same reason.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Well that would seem like a natural. Thats is way I posted the above florida laws.