Florida carry-concealed law question

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by cyptre, Nov 1, 2008.

1. cyptre

cyptre New Member

Hello I am new to this forum and did a quick search with no results. I am shopping around for a gun but when I was 14 I committed three felonies and was wondering if that will effect me getting a concealed permit in florida. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

Have you purchased or tried to purchase a firearm from a dealer...the instant check will fill in the blanks on your status for you.

3. CodyWalkerJr

CodyWalkerJr New Member

I live in florida and I dont think you will be able to get a CCW with a felony record....sorry buddy but that is part of the screening process

4. utf59

utf59 New Member

If you have a felony on your record, you can't legally own a firearm, let alone carry one. I'm not sure how your age at the time may have affected your record.

I'd recommend talking to a lawyer or at least a paralegal about researching your record and go from there.

If you have purchased a firearm from a dealer (filling out all the paperwork) it's a good bet there is no felony showing on your record.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

6. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Like others have said-if you are cleared to buy a firearm them you also should be allowed a CCW.Hang in there if you can't get one,I can't get my CCW either.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Hard to tell exactly from your question whether you are now confessing to having committed 3 felonies, were accused or were convicted. In any case most juvenile convictions are sealed or expunged. Not sure if NICS gets past that, that's a question for a lawyer.

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I don't know about anyone else, but when I need legal advice I ALWAYS turn to the interwebz...:rolleyes:

Like others have said, check with a lawyer or at least the local sheriff's dept.

3 felonies at 14 is hard to come by.

9. Southeast of Disorder

Southeast of Disorder New Member

You probably will not qualify to obtain a concealed carry permit.

Have those felonies been expunged from your record? Florida state law states that you cannot be convicted of a felony. It does not mention anything about having them expunged from your record. Like what was mentioned earlier, you may not qualify to even own a firearm. This is where I agree with the others stating you need to speak to a lawyer.

10. Safetyguy

Safetyguy New Member

In Florida, expunged case(s) return your rights. The problem is getting the case expunged, not easy to do. Your problems were as a child and if not found guilty in adult court you may be okay. As an adult I know one person, not convicted, but adjudication withheld, who had the case expunged. Permit issued.

People here gave you good choices. Get a book and read it for your state was the best one. Ask an attorney was okay. Apply for a permit and if refused you will know. Better fing out if you are allowed to even have a gun in your possession. Doing so might land you in prison. Cops may arrest you, they enforce. They do not judge. The judge decides the case or a jury if requested.

11. failure_drill

failure_drill New Member

fl ccw question

is there any way i can get a FL CCW without having to do an instructional class?can i just send in a copy of my dd214 or 2-1 showing my handgun qualification from fort bragg?

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

From the site:

o Get verification of training that satisfies the training requirement. The application lists
    acceptable documents. Make a photocopy to send with the application as an original cannot be
    returned. Persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their
    Military ID Card to satisfy the training requirement.

Concealed Weapons or Firearm Program - Division of Licensing, FDACS

From the site:

Form/Publication Request 790 - Division of Licensing, FDACS

Unless you are serving overseas in the United States Armed Forces, you must currently reside in the United States (US) AND be a US citizen or deemed a lawful permanent resident alien by Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). If you are serving overseas in the US Armed Forces, submit a copy of your deployment documentation with your application. If you are not a US citizen, submit documentation issued by the USCIS proving you are a permanent legal resident alien with proof you have resided in the state of residence (as shown on your application) for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the date the application is submitted.

13. failure_drill

failure_drill New Member

awesome!thanks much!imma go do that when i get off duty!

14. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

I have a criminal mischief class c felony on my juvinile record and i am a ccw holder in the state of alabama don't know if that helps but thats my experience in the matter oh and i comitted that felony when i was 16

15. Torontogunguy

Torontogunguy New Member

Your best bet is to speak with an attorney - one that SPECIALIZES in getting records cleaned up. And do it soon as in most states it can take a while and you will probably have to appear in court to explain yourself and how you are doing now under oath.

I have a problem with the fact that there were THREE felonies, but what you have going for you is that you were 14 and I don't know about FL but many states will take that into HEAVY consideration in deciding to expunge your record.

Your best bet is to go through an attorney; your felony conviction may have come with a standard set of terms - one of them being that you may not ever be in possession of firearms, ammunition, explosives, etc., for the rest of your life.

And this is not something that you want to start messing around with yourself as 3 felonies may equal 3 strikes, right?

Get the information under the table immediately - in other words stop talking about it. And get it under lawyer/client privilege immediately.

It would be interesting to know if this has affected any other aspects of your life such as voting, military service, job opportunities, passport applications, etc., as an indicator of whether or not these felonies were lumped together and buried after a period of time or when you reached the age of majority, or by a parent without your recollection, or whatever.

Regardless, you need to get to an attorney immediately and get this under attorney/client privileged confidentiality.