Floating a barrel

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by OLD Ron, Mar 1, 2020.

1. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

I am building a Remington 700 22 250 for a bench gun .
    How far back should the barrel float ?
    Here is where I am so far .
    fit 1.JPG

Shopfox, Rifling82 and PeeJay1313 like this.
  2. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

I floated the barrel on my Ruger 30-06 many years ago, two layers of innertube right at the recoil lug, I read somewhere that that wasn't supposed to be done, thing is after sanding the fore stock on each side to clear the barrel, this is the most accurate rifle I own.

OLD Ron and Rifling82 like this.

3. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

I have my Ruger M77 22/250 AI floated right back as far as the receiver with the heavy varmint barrel.
    I've done the same with most of my bolt action rifles as well and they all shoot well probably a lot better than what I can do.

towboater, SRK97 and OLD Ron like this.
  4. OLD Ron

Thanks guys !
    Looks like around four more inches to go yet .
    When I get this done it will be the heaviest gun I own .

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Ron,I always make sure that my barrels are floating all the way to the recoil lug. Do a good glass bedding job on the action / recoil lug,and it should be good to go.

Rifling82 and OLD Ron like this.
  6. OLD Ron

Thanks Tx
    The lug is sloppy so I will glass that in real well . To take up the slack it has around the lug . The action is tight so I may need to sad it a bit for glass to get in there . I have been told no need to put in pillars because it is a composite stock .
    First time at this so am asking a lot of others that have done it . I have 2 more to do after this one . By then I will have a better idea how it goes .

7. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I bed the lug and the first inch of barrel in front of the action every bolt rifle I own. The rest of the barrel is free floated. Works every time.

Rifling82, towboater and OLD Ron like this.