Flip up sights

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mt232, Apr 8, 2012.

1. mt232

mt232 New Member

I plan on changing the upper receiver on my ar to an A4 flat top. My question is can I use the Magpul mbus rear flip up sight with the fixed front A2 without a riser?

2. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

You need to determine what front site you have one your rifle. There are two or three different heights. If yours has the F stamp on it then you should be ok. If not you will need to research different height sights that will work for you.

3. mt232

mt232 New Member

Ok thanks, I'll have to check it out. Why do some have the F and some don't

4. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

A1 and A2 models have a different height on their sights due to the fixed carry handle. When they went to the flat top and removable carry handle they went to a different height front sight and and are stamped with a F on them. I cant remember off the top of my head what the height difference is, I can dig the book out and look it up. Or some of the more knowledgabe members here will prob be along and clarify it a little better for you.

5. mt232

mt232 New Member

Oh ok, thanks but there is no need. I appreciate the input though, I think I know what direction I need to go in.

6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

As is mentioned, the Magpul MBUS is intended for use with the the standard A2 "F" marked front sight without any modifications. Should you have a non-F-marked front sight, there are extended front sight posts available to make the height adjustment. The extended front sight posts don't cost much.

Attached Files: