Flip up sights

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ar15noob, Feb 29, 2012.

1. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

Ny opinion oh which flip up sights are best for general purpose plinking at the range?

2. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

I like Magpul MBUS, personally.

3. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

And what made you choose it? Price, features, brand name?

4. Retaks

Retaks New Member

I also have the Magpul MBUS sights. I was looking for a new AR and had 11 different ones out on the bench comparing every little difference. It came down to me having 3 i really liked but different sights on each on. I knew i wanted flip up sights so i was comparing them. They all seemed about the same in sturdyness and would work just fine but i really liked the Magpul were alot smoother looking when they were layed down to prevent catching on things, 1 lever to push down slightly on each sight and they flip up, You can just push them back down with no need to fumble with levers or buttons, And they work great through the glass on my Eotec.

5. frostyone

frostyone New Member

I also have the Magpul MBUS sights. They are inexpensive, light, well built and easy to use. I also dont think you can go wrong with Magpul, they make some great stuff. They have worked perfectly so far.

6. ar15noob

ar15noob New Member

Thanks for the.input...let the magpul research begin!!!!!

7. 75370

75370 New Member

I'll save you some time Magpuls are made of polymer, if you want a front sight to fit the gas block look somewhere else.

8. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

If your "plinking" gun were to double as a self-defense tool, I'd consider something a bit more robust than the Magpul you referenced, like Troy or ARMS. If all you're going to do is work (or play) at the range, the Magpuls will do fine.

9. g23shooter

g23shooter New Member

Second Treehuggers response...there is a difference between a(Go to War) weapon and go have some fun in a non hostile environment weapon, where longevity of the parts is not critical.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The Magpuls are more than strong enough for what you're doing and more.

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have a magpul BUIS and a troy BUIS, In all honesty I wish I would have went magpul on both rifles. If I was using a front sight on a gas block I would be using troy other wise its pretty hard to beat the magpul sights , they sit low when closed , simple lever to open up and just push them down to close, The Troy I have to flip up with is no big deal but you have to push the slide in to close it , again no big deal . both very well made .
    Just watch out for the china made PTS airsoft replicas , buy from a reputable dealer

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The PTS line are not knock-offs. They are actually licenced by Magpul and can be found on their site. I have a pair. Although I can't find any difference between the two lines the PTS are said to be produced in a different factory.

That said I probably wouldn't purchase another set to sit in the parts box next to the others.

13. priell3

priell3 New Member

I have Magpul MBUS flip up sights on my carbine and got to use them for the first time last weekend. They worked great right out of the package. Worth the $83 (to me).