Flint Lock Rifle, Curly Maple Stock

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by mraardvark, Jun 11, 2014.

1. mraardvark

mraardvark New Member

Hey, This is Charles Pharr. I am an appraiser needing help. I am having a hard time determining the era and approximate value of this fine old rifle. First I need a value and second who would you recommend to consign the rifle if it becomes available for sale?

It is 56"L overall with a 41" Octagonal barrel

Is this a colonial era weapon?

Definitely old.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much, Charles

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
  2. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That is a Kentucky/Pennsylvania Long Rifle, & its Cap & Ball not flintlock..........

I would say its value is around 800 bucks..........

3. mraardvark

mraardvark New Member

Thanks so much for your help!

4. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Wood is beautiful for sure.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

5. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Are there any markings or names on the barrel? Some makers put a type of brand or their name around the breech area,, any identifying marks can be researched and give you a much better idea of the rifles age and value.

6. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You will have to take the barrel off, the Makers Marks are on the underside of the barrel...............

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As said, the rifle is a caplock, not a flintlock. The percussion cap replaced flint priming, and was first used about 1820- long after the Revolutionary period.

The American style "long rifle" started in Pennsylvania, around Lancaster, and migrated towards the frontier- VA, KY and Tenn. You need better pictures, higher pixels, showing details. Appears there may be some stock damage.

There MAY be markings on the lock- many independent makers bought factory made locks to install on their locally crafted guns. Absent being a pristine example of a highly collected maker, the $800 figure is probably fairly close.

DO have a smith check that the rifle is not loaded (takes about 60 seconds). There are a LARGE number of muzzleloaders that have been hanging over the fireplace for a century with powder and ball in the barrel.

8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

That's a flintlock style rifle, probably converted to percussion using a new lock. Put it on the American Long Rifle forum and you'll get better information.

9. jimmiep

jimmiep New Member

wood

The wood is not maple. Looking inder the rear flap the wood is walnut that has been burn striped. It's a very nice job and a nice stock. but it's walnut, Maple is a very light wood and curly maple has a lot of burl and yours has no burl.