Flats

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Shihan, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What is involved in building an AK from a flat? How difficult is the task? I was considering building an AK.

Looks like it could be a fun project.

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I dont think you and small parts would mix well.

3. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I read somewhere along the line about building an AK, It honestly sounded like a HUGE pain in the @$$, Maybe they make pre drilled kits or something, But forming an AK from flat stock and making it square would be my biggest issue, I don't know what kind of equipment you have, But it sounds like a daunting task to say the least, It certainly isn't like building an AR.
    Under the right circumstances and if I had the proper tools, I may like to try some day, But until then, I will pass.
    Best of luck, I would be interested in what you find.

4. Mandy

Mandy New Member

Sure it can be done, with a welder, a grinder and enough time, it can be accomplished, it may look like crap, but it can be done.

PS have a good vernier caliper on hand for those tricky measurements

5. laynejc

laynejc New Member

I am pretty sure you can get a predrilled flat with the rails from ohio ordance, building one from a kit is pain because of the 922 compliance. Also building from a flat I am pretty sure that it can NOT be sold.

6. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

There are pre-bent and pre-drilled receivers for custom builds. This is about the same as buying an AR-15 lower and doesnt require all the squaring off and bending which can cause the most frustration from what I've heard from AK builders.
    You can have an 80% receiver or skip ahead and get a 100% reciever which has all the bolts and cuts and rails already made without any internal parts.

7. Mandy

Mandy New Member

^ Very nice and it's a dimple design :cool:

Great price too...........

8. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

i have heard the rivets are the pain. and making sure its straight and plumb. and im sure the barrel in really puts the fu in fun.

AR would be better to build because of the milled aluminum frames. but also more money and for that price you could get a nice ak or even two ok ak s.

9. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Building is building, Its a great way to learn and know your rifle.
    With the AK receiver I posted, It makes things much easier to consider building one, Looking on the site that offered the stamping, they have just about everything you would need.

AK Parts and Components

Maybe someday :cool:

10. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

You need a special bending jig.

You need to heat treat it.

You will spend almost as much on the rest of the parts as buying a completed rifle.

HOWEVER

You can buy original Krinkov parts, and create what is often very difficult to find.....

11. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

You need a special bending jig.--Some what right.
    If you consider a couple pieces of flat steel, two pieces of angle, and some bolts and nuts "special" then I guess it is special.
    Check out this link.
    Gunco.net

You need to heat treat it.--More wrong than right.
    I know a few builders that never heat treat there receiver. They tell me when it wears out they will fold up another flat and do it again, I guess they were right it has been over three years & they haven't asked to use my tools again yet. I do a spot heat treat by just heat treating the ejector and around the trigger & hammer axis pin holes.
    Here is the link that the builders read to get the idea of not heat treating.
    Gunco.net
    Update
    Test To Destruction Rifle Still Going Strong - Gunco.net

You will spend almost as much on the rest of the parts as buying a completed rifle.---That just depends on how much you want to put out.
    Just check around the price of quality AKs is going up. Sure you can still pick up a WASR, or a Saiga for between $350 to $450 and you will get a gun with questionable quality, rough looking, parts not matching, and sometimes won't even cycle.
    But if you build it your self you know the quality that you put into it, you know how to fix anything that may go wrong with it because you built it.
    Here is an original barrel matching numbers parts kit for $329.95.
    Romanian G AK-47 Parts Kit
    With an additional $100 for flat, rivet set, & compliance parts, plus a week or so of spare time you will have a Great Looking Home Built AK47.

12. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Heat treating the entire receiver may be worth it when it comes to reducing over-flexing under recoil if I'm not mistaken.

13. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

7.62 man is more optimistic than i.. not a bad thing though

talked about this some with some people and didnt seem so encouraging. even a guy from russia (eastern europe for sure) that is a tactical trainer with the ak said he would try it because it all has to be just right. and i realize that a trainer is not a machinist but neither are most people in the world.

14. tommixx

tommixx New Member

i have built several i have a bender from black market arms works great bends sqare.with this bender you can bend with the rails installed. ray at black market will sell you a flat with the rails installed.

15. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Hell Yes It's FUN! ! ! I'm going to do one as well. Most of the stuff I've done has been mix and match type projects and a Saiga conversion, but I haven't messed with them in a WHILE, in fact I need to take apart an AK and put it back together soon, just to keep fresh.

I'm not going to start with a flat, probably an 80% . . . maybe a 100% ?

Have you checked this out? : Gunwiki: Choosing a Receiver for an AK Parts Kit

There's more, I'll post 'em up when I come across them, but I'd LOVE to see some guys doing more AKs and can't wait to join in! :)