Flat vs arched mainspring housings

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by NGIB, Sep 30, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Here's another 1911 choice that we all have to make. This one is strictly a matter of personal preference as "one size fits all" doesn't work here. Colt adopted the arched housing in the 1911-A1 to address the issue of soldiers shooting low. The arched housing raises the muzzle a bit using the same grip and it helps some folks acquire the target quicker.

I personally use the arched housing on all of mine as while I have pretty big hands I don't have a lot of "meat" in the heel of my hand. They are easy (and cheap) to change out and this is one area that's worth the experiment to make sure your 1911 works best for you.

One point of note. If you order a new housing it generally does not include the "innerds" which consist of the mainspring cap, cap pin, retaining pin, and the mainspring itself. These parts are interchangable so you can remove them from your current housing and put them in the new housing. The exception to this rule is for Springfield 1911s as they use a proprietary system which contains the gun's internal lock. To do this swap on a Springer requires you to buy these parts - here's a link for a Brownell's kit...

BROWNELLS : BROWNELLS : Mainspring Housing Rebuild Kit, Blued (080-000-549) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I prefer a flat MSH over the curved style. Just personal preference I guess.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Exactly my friend. That's the real beauty of the 1911 platform - it can be all things for all people...

4. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I've used both, and I like arched ones mainly from an aesthetic point of view. I just think they look nicer.

5. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Due to my stubby fingers I can't get a comfortable grip with the arched housing. The flat fits my hand like I was born to hold the gun. :D

[​IMG]

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm a high-ride grip freak and need my strong side hand up as high as possible on the grip. The arched MSH works great for me!

Colt150.jpg

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Cane, it's obvious to me that your Colt does not get nearly enough use and attention - it's just to pretty. Tell you what, send it to me and I'll put a few rounds through it for you - least I can do...

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

NGIB BACK OFF I had dibs on that SS colt.

I will kick you in the ding ding for it.

I have never shot the arched MSH mine is flat it works. I guess I could order an arched one and try it.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Hey, we old codgers have to stick together! On a serious note, I'd try one out and see which works better for you. I can shoot a 1911 pretty well either way but it points more naturally for me using arched housings...

10. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Having big hands I personally prefer arched mainspring housings.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Everyone with flat main spring housings have girlie men hands. Real men have arched MSH's.

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Now we know for sure which camp Tango falls in...:D

(And yes, the gun in my avatar will get an arched housing the moment it arrives)

13. Highpower

Highpower New Member

OUCH! That HURT! ;)

cane: Posting that pic of your Colt is a bit like throwing a bone into the middle of a pack of wild dogs, don't you think?

(Yes, I'm drooling too...)

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yea but it's a bone that can take care of itself!

The gun has the ugliest ignition parts with machining marks and galling:

ignitionjunk.jpg

And that's cleaned up! But I refuse to replace them.

The gun has the sweetest trigger I have ever shot!

Constant 4.5# and brakes like a glass rod. [​IMG]

15. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Well, in their defense -- stainless ain't exactly the easiest material in the world to machine.... :eek:

Sounds like they work ok though! :D

16. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Having handled and shot my friends flat MSH 1911, then my 1911 with arched MSH, I prefer the arched.. it feels better and better the more i hold it:D

17. bearfanb

bearfanb New Member

Flat fits my hands better, but i have hands on the small side... the benefit (to small hands) is I can shoot spur hammers with no beavertails and not bleed :)