Flask

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by thefourthD, Nov 16, 2013.

1. thefourthD

thefourthD New Member

Our office has a birthday club where everyone draws names at the beginning of the year. The catch is gifts must be a "re-gifted" or "white elephant" type gift. Nothing serious and nothing expensive.
    This year I was gifted an 8oz stainless steal flask. The flask is now filled up with my favorite bourbon and in my BOB. Yes, yes, yes, I know it's not vital to survival. I don't really need it but I had this flask and I had room so there it is. So my question is am I the only one? Does anyone else have a flask in their BOB? Would you have thrown it in there I my situation?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Liquor is invaluable in a shtf situation. It can be used used as a sterilizer,pain mitigation, morale booster,firestarter and trade item. The flask can probably also be used for signaling.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Life without booze is surviving, not living. :(

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My flask is British. 1/2 litre!:D The single most important item in my kit!:p

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i see nothing wrong with this at all. but if you have to re-gift it, then find another one like it to replace that one!

6. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I don't have a flask in my BOB but I do keep a few mini bottles. There's not much better than a warm fire and a stout drink on a cold night. :)

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Did it occur to you that grain alcohol is 3 times as more potent, can be used as disinfectant, to stretch fuel to run a ICE/car, start a fire, as rubbing
    alcohol, and for barter, as well as to drink?;)

8. vincent

vincent New Member

I've kept a flask in my tackle box for years...

I've yet to meet the man/woman who can fish with me without doing a shot...;)...or three...

B.O.B/ Tackle box...same difference...:cool:

If you like a bit of the drop, it makes sense to have a drop handy...;)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  9. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

In a situation where you're going to make life and death decisions and need to have all your wits about you to deal with the unexpected you're worried about not being able to get drunk… Yep, sounds like a plan to me.

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Same here. Makers Mark mostly now that I think about it... I'm a Jim Beam guy:confused:

11. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I haven't been "drunk" in many years but I do enjoy a drink every now and then. It's one of those comfort things. :)

12. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

That makes two of us! :)

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

There's this...

And this...

And a pessimistic this...

Also, the alcohol can sterilize a turd in the punchbowl. :)

14. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Me personally whenever I go camping I carry some of my special brew with me when I go camping also keep some my bag, I found out long ago they don't make a flask big enough so I just carry a mason jar or two in the bag wrapped in bubble wrap. Granted one jar is for drinking (not for getting drunk just a nip or two) while the other has a red cross sticker on it and that's purely for medical use.

I agree with carrying alcohol on you for an in case situation, it has many uses also worse comes to worse you can trade it for other things you might need. Also after some big stuff happens and your adrenaline is still pumping it can help you calm down and get some sleep.

15. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Alcohol, in moderation, has been a tonic for ailments both physical and psychological for millennia.

If you abstain from consuming alcohol, more power to you. I have always felt that if my Lord & savior, Jesus Christ turned water into wine for human consumption, then alcohol was not necessarily something we were meant to abstain from, as long as we consume it in moderation!

I certainly plan on having alcohol for tonic and barter if TSHTF!

16. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I'll tell you what, if you're trying to start a fire and your kindling is being stubborn, not a lot beats a shot of strong rum. Actually a shot is overkill. A capful usually does the trick

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  17. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A flask is considered an open container. But I usually have one in cold weather. Other than a roaring fire, there isn't much to make you feel better when it's so cold your fingers are burning.

18. thefourthD

thefourthD New Member

Settle down there. I understand your concern but no one mentioned getting drunk. I happen to obtain a flask and I happen to have room in my BOB. I also should have mentioned that my BOB is also me Get Home Bag. I live in an area where the weather changes quickly. I'm more concerned about surviving a few hours in my car until I can be rescued or humping it a couple miles to get home than hiding from somebody who might be trying to get me. A drink does not equal being drunk.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  19. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Actually this varies not just from state to state but from courthouse to courthouse within the state and occasionally from judge to judge in the courthouse.

Example: in 1 courtroom with 1 judge, if a daiquiri has tape over the straw hole it's not an open container. In another courtroom, if the straw isn't in the straw hole it's not an open container. In another courtroom, if there is paper over the straw in the straw hole it's not an open container. This is all within a 50 mile radius.

20. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

So your best bet is to drink the daiquiri and get rid of the evidence! :D