flash suppressor on S&W M&P 15/22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Zombiepirate, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Zombiepirate

Zombiepirate New Member

Hay U Guys
    Does anyone know if the flash suppressor is threaded on to the barrel and can it be temporarily removed ? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The ones I've seen and shot had bull barrels.

Got a photo?

3. dan01

dan01 New Member

Zombie...Yes, the flash hider will unscrew if you have the threaded barrel......

Cane.......Never heard of a "bull barrel" S&W M&P 15 22.....

4. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Get this fake suppressor! :)

Attached Files:

5. Zombiepirate

Zombiepirate New Member

Dan01
    Thanks for the quick answer here is a photo it does have the threaded barrel, I also would like to know Is it left or right handed thread? I just need to remove the suppressor temperley I want to attach a bayonet and if the flash suppressor was removed my bayonet will fit snug as a bug in a rug and the suppressor when reinstalled will lock it in place.
    "If ya cant choot em, Stab em:D"
    Zombiepirate

Attached Files:

• 270.jpg
      270.jpg
      File size:
      29.4 KB
      Views:
    • 272.jpg
      272.jpg
      File size:
      15.8 KB
      Views:
    • 711.jpg
      711.jpg
      File size:
      24.7 KB
      Views:
  6. dan01

dan01 New Member

Left loose.......right tight........Turn it gently counter clock wise with a snug fitting wrench......Do you have the manual?

The M 7 bayonet needs a bayonet lug which the 15 22 does not have.....My Walther Colt C 4 has the bayonet lug and a M 7 bayonet will slip over the flash hider and lock into the lug........................................How will you keep the bayonet from flopping around, as I don't think using the flash hider to secure it will work....JMHO

When I get the chance, I will mike the flash hiders on my 15 22 and Colt C 4.

7. Zombiepirate

Zombiepirate New Member

I need to do some micing myself but just by looking i think with the flash hider off the bayonet will seat against the picatinny rail and when I reinstall the hider it will tighten down to lock the bayonet in place But like i said I need to do some micrometer measurements so i know for sure. I may have to add a bayonet lug to my picatinny rail, My Manuel don't say anything about removing the hider.

"If ya cant choot em ya got to beable to stab em":cool:

Zombie

8. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

Do not trust that M7 with it held by the rail alone! It may look good in photos but it will soon flop all over the place. I carried an M7 for my M16 in Vietnam and would love to be able to mount the one I have now on my 15-22 but without a bayonet lug it is just not practical for anything but a prop. So far I haven't found source for such a lug.

9. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

Cane.......Never heard of a "bull barrel" S&W M&P 15 22.....[/QUOTE]

Probably referring to the Performance Center model that comes (came?) with a polished bull barrel and an "accuratized" chamber job.

10. Zombiepirate

Zombiepirate New Member

Thanks EagleEars
    It was a good thought, I can see that with out the lug, You and Dan01 are right I am best to give up the thought!!!! Maybe If I had a machine shop I could make a lug for my 15/22 But for now I will have to just "Choot-em" Just can't miss:eek: Here in Maine we have a shoot and miss rule, U shoot U miss U loose a peice of your shirt, Miss to many times you end up with no shirt!!!

Zombie pirate

11. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

Zombie,
    they make bolt on bayonet lugs for AR platforms. however they are usually designed to go where your gas block is located. from your image, it looks like you already have a few items mounted in that location.

12. Zombiepirate

Zombiepirate New Member

curlyjoe
    where would i find this lug anything can be moved or removed?
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  13. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

14. Zombiepirate

Zombiepirate New Member

Curlyjoe
    Thanks a lot now I just need to fugue which one I need.
    Thanks again

15. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

I just mounted that one on my Colt M4 ops where I had taken the front sight post off. the post was not square to the rear sight and made zeroing with iron sights next to impossible so I have a compact 3x9 on it. anyway it clamped right on the front and didn't need to even remove the flash suppressor, just be sure to connect the bayonet to get the correct distance from the front before tightening the screws. I have a few bayonets and turns out one style is shorter then the Vietnam era M7 and had to realign the mount so that the distance was correct and the picatanny rail was square. I'll be set once I find the box that I put the aftermarket iron sights in. lol

good luck on what ever you choose.

16. Zombiepirate

Zombiepirate New Member

Hay thanks I ordered one from Midway $67.00 or right around there, I need to find a different bayonet than the one I have The hole is to small to fit my barrel I will have to look through my dads stash;) I'm sure he has some other's.
    "If ya cant shoot lunge and twist"

17. carnestopher

carnestopher New Member

Which fake can is that? I'd love to put one on mine!

18. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

Zombie,

You may need a different diameter flash suppressor instead. I've seen some large diameter ones that looked just like the standard AR ones. Until they were side by side, or measured, you couldn't tell the difference.

still good luck on your project

Curly

19. Zombiepirate

Zombiepirate New Member

I just had to try this I had a extra set of 1" scope mounts witch fit my Bayonet I was only able to use the mount on the rear end of the bayonet so it would set forward, I now need to try a mount from a pellet gun or a .22 to see if the mount will fit mt barrel to firmly mount the forward end.

If ya cant choot em, stab em

Attached Files:

• 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      27 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      30.2 KB
      Views: