Flash hider or muzzle brake

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by SkilletFan24, Feb 15, 2014.

1. SkilletFan24

SkilletFan24 New Member

On my AR I have an A2 Flash hider. Nothing fancy. But I was wondering if it was worth getting a muzzle brake instead? I had my eye on this one
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-YHM285M1
    It's only $20. Has good reviews on YouTube and the interwebs in general. But my question is, is it worth sacrificing the flash suppression of the flash hider for a muzzle break? The decreased or eliminated muzzle flip is really tempting.

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

There is virtually no recoil from an AR-15 firing .223/5.56 A muzzle break would not perform any function.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Skilett,
    That is a good looking Muzzle Break and YHM makes some good stuff. The only thing I have to add is get a new Crush Washer when you put it on. Do not use your old crush washer unless you plan on cutting it off your barrel in the future incase you decide to change it again in the future. And cut it without damaging the threads on the barrel of the finish on the barrel step. If you use it again the crush washer will crimp down in the bare area if the barrel behind the threads on the barrel and the front face of the barrel step. But as mentioned by Mister McCool you will notice little if any at all difference in the rifle.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  4. SkilletFan24

SkilletFan24 New Member

Thanks guys. Ill put another 100 rounds through it before deciding if I want to get a brake

5. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

That's a nice muzzle brake(and with washer) for the price. Best I've seen.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I don't see much point in replacing the flash hider with a muzzle brake, not in 5.56 anyway. Buy a PMAG instead!

7. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Gotta disagree. In the whole realm of firearms, yeah, an AR doesn't have any recoil. When you're trying to put 20 rounds on target WHILE you're moving or out of position, a compensator helps. Muzzle brake whatever, compensator def. I have the Troy Medieval and noticed even at the range right off the bat. Does make it louder though. My thought process (outside of the person next to me being uncomfortable, but really, if bullets are flying at you how comfortable ARE you) is that unless you have a suppressor on your rifle it's not like they won't hear you anyways. What's it matter if it's a little bit louder if follow up/rapid fire shots are all on target? Good outweighs the bad. Get a compensator. Brake prob not

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I have a target crown on my A2. If you're not going to war, the flash

hider isn't doing you any good, and a muzzle brake is only helping

in specific situations. But a target crown helps accuracy, especially

if you went to the trouble of installing a nice bull barrel on your rifle.

9. SkilletFan24

SkilletFan24 New Member

I just want something I can rapid fire my ar and keep it reasonably accurate. Like in SHTF WROL etc. Or even run and guns. That's where I'm coming from

10. kuntreebouy

kuntreebouy New Member

I put a brake on my su16c when I had it, I can say I did notice a difference in recoil, yea, I didn't have much recoil to start with but with a brake on it it felt like a 22lr. and yes , it was a lot louder with the brake on it

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Any benefit from a muzzle brake on a 5.56 AR will be fleeting at best (unless you shoot for the money). The hearing damage will build up insidiously, and will last. Considering the imperfect hearing protection (let's be honest), I have given up on muzzle brakes for that reason alone.

12. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Forget the brake. Get a compensator. A brake reduces recoil, a compensator reduces muzzle rise, which is what will keep you on target. I've got a brake/comp, which helps with both. I understand what you're wanting, because I wanted the same thing. I've never used one, but for the price everyone says the Miculek Compensator is really nice.

13. SkilletFan24

SkilletFan24 New Member

Cool, thanks guys for the feedback! I guess $20 for a compensator isn't too bad if I don't like it...

14. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

15. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Looks similar to the Miculek too. 199$ though? I think the link you provided may be something different. Or the ebay seller became extremely confident in his product haha

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

No thats the same seller I made the purchase from for $29.95 / free shipping .
    I would send them a message and offer them $29.95 they will accept it

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Here was my purchase

Attached Files:

18. DP03

DP03 New Member

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  19. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014