FL heat vs. Concealed Carry

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by FlBob518, Jun 8, 2010.

1. FlBob518

FlBob518 New Member

I am all set for cool weather carry, but as summer looms I will be wearing shorts and usually tucked in shirts. This pretty much means a pocket pistol. I purchased a Taurus TCP, and the FTE rate is way unacceptable. :( Like 20 FTE per 50. I am sending it back of course, but will never trust it. Here is my question, is there such a thing as an out of the box dependable .380? Seems like I have read all kinds of negative stories involving most .380s. In FL every inch and 10th of an ounce count, so a 9mm pocket pistol seems not to be an option. I would rather not go less powerful than a .380.

Think I should roll the dice and get a Ruger .380? :)

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

Perhaps a PA-63 in 9x18 makarov.

Heres a picture of one that has wood grips almost like mine-

[​IMG]

Its basically a Walther PP knock off.
    Mine needed new springs to reduce the seriously heavy double action trigger pull,a sight job,and some new grips,but its *light* aluminum/titanium alloy frame and slim profile are just right for carrying under a T-Shirt in hot weather.

And makarov is sorta like a .380 + .22lr in power.

With the PA-63 you'd unfortunately be limited to ball,but in the lower power cartridges thats actually a plus for penetration in my book......

and with ball ammo of assorted varieties,mine has been rock solid in over 300 rounds.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010

3. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Hrm....I kinda like these ;)
    Holster for a Kel-tec
    [​IMG]

Holster for a Derringer, easily made by hand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Of course, since they are considered to be an AOW, you needa Tax Stamp & BATF approval...

Kinda funny, since the folks that need to use this kind of carry where you can fire from a closed wallet
    are the ones BEING robbed, unlikely a robber would ever use something of this nature...LOL
    It's for "Gimme Yer Wallet!", and you pull it out and blast the perp.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I can carry my Kimber Pro carry in shorts and a tucked in t shirt or polo with my crossbreed supertuck.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It's the same hot & humid summer here in SE GA. I'm very happy with my Sig 238 so far but I know lots of folks that pocket carry a P3AT or LCP...

6. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Our summers are extreme- no doubt. The LCP and LCR are good choices. Also check out Kahr Arms, they make reliable pocket pistols of various calibers. Sorry to hear about your Taurus, it's a shame.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Ft. Lauderdale was 99º/99% two days ago.

NO 1911, BHP, even in a Xbreed!

Elsie Ahrrrrrrr.

[​IMG]

8. Esteban

Esteban New Member

Take a close look at the Kel Tec PF9. I am in Florida & know how the heat is. PF 9 is smaller than many .380's . Kel-Tec does have a small .380 as well.
    I have a P-11.
    NOTE; .380 ammo has been hard to find at times. Plenty of 9mm around.

Kel Tec

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The original PPK/s in .380, or my other, the HK PSP P7 in 9mm.

10. Sooie

Sooie New Member

id go PF9 or LCP

both are great guns. the 9mm that flat and that light is unmatched. though ive read plenty saying how not fun they are to shoot. i understand its a CARRY gun, and id get one just for that, even if i only shot 50 rounds a year. and the sights are really good.

the LCPs only knock is its a 380, better op for the crimson trace too because with a 380, placement is gonna be critical. and theres no sights on the LCP.

id personally choose the pf9. get the clip too, so you can clip it to any pants IWB. and a handall jr for the rough texture squares on the grip. even though, i dont see how the handall jr sleeve would fit tightly and securely around it because of its lack of thickness.

11. utf59

utf59 New Member

Some great suggestions above. The only one I would add is the Walther PPS. I don't own one personally, but I've read great things about them from people on various forums. Available in 9mm and .40.

12. Wambli

Wambli Member

My solution to the FL (or anywhere else) heat is a PPS in my pocket. OUTSTANDING gun!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought the first one that was delieverd to the LGS after reading an article on it. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  13. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

I pretty much run like heck from Ruger nowadays...I've had WAY too many problems, from Vaquero's with lousy timing to 10/22T's that wouldn't shoot worth a dang...and if I can make an old Marlin 99 shoot a dime out at 50 yards, I oughta be able to make a 10/22 Target model get 'em all in a quarter at 50...you would think.

Then with all the recent Ruger recalls...like the LCP (.380) & SR9 (9mm) recently...

They just don't make 'em like they used to.

I might buy an older Ruger...but I don't think I'd touch anything made since 1980 with a ten foot pole.

14. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

I honestly have a nasty habit of buying European guns and alot of military surplus.
    So far,I haven't been disappointed.

15. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

Perhaps we are forgetting probably the most obvious solution. Stay in the A/C.

16. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Bought a LCP a few months ago and have been carrying it daily.
    About 300 rounds through it, both ball and JHP. Absolutely NO
    problems. Been shot be several people, and not even one little
    hiccup.

Get the Crimson Trace laser for it. The LCP iron sights are a joke,
    although it does point shoot well for me.

Have a DeSantis Nemesis holster for it, and I don't like it. It lets
    the gun rotate on my jeans pocket so it is butt up. Have a
    different holster coming from Alabama Holster Company, hope it
    works better.

17. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Bersa Thunder 380 or Ruger LCR...
    I had a Bersa Thunder 380 and is an outstanding reliable gun.
    I tried Canebrake's Ruger LCR and I fell in love with it... extremely lightweight (even loaded) handles +P loads, it will disappear in your pocket...

18. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Can't go wrong with a S&W J Frame. Or check out the new Bodyguard series from S&W. 380 auto 38 special.

19. colmustard

colmustard New Member

+ 1 :D Now thats the way to go!

20. cbw

cbw New Member

LCP is sweet

After a bad start this little pistols have come a long way. I 've had my LCP for over a year and I'm very pleased with it. No FTF or FTF the only thng with her is you have to let her rack slap back when you pull it back or she will at times not load, but I (and most people) carry with one in the pipe so this is not an issue. Comments on Crimson Trace LAser sights are right on! There is no site on this little baby, but with the laser I can put all of the clip in a 5" pattern at 30', just aim and pull fast and long cause the trigger pull feels like 2" on this tiny gun. Carry's like a dream, disappears in my pocket, I use a Nemesis Super fly and it works great, Get one you will love it.