FL Bill to allow concealed carry without permit

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by danf_fl, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The only problem I see with this is that many times people are forced to evacuate before the Governor calls a state of emergency. We have all seen that stuff often has been in the news for several days before it is made official.

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have been forced to evacuate numerous times. I always took my guns with me. I will admit I have never had to evacuate to a shelter. I have always had a place to go during a hurricane. I don't see how this bill is anything more than lip service unless people are allowed to store their weapons in a shelter.

Another point has already been made, no governor calls a state of emergency before a storm strikes. People evacuating are forced to deal with an informal state of marshal law.

A law stating that no city/county officials can attempt to disarm the public, AKA post Katrina would be more helpful.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  3. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

This is a good start.

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

With our tyrannical government in place, isnt every day a emergency ?

5. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

I see this a piece of protection for the citizens of Florida that choose not to get a CCW permit but want to take their firearms with them should the situation arise. It would prevent a similar situation that happened to the folks in Louisiana during Katrina.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Would you care to elaborate? We have already stated that a state of emergency is not ever declared before a disaster. How does this law aide people who are trying to evacuate with their firearms?

By the way Ray Megan, declared the firearms ban in the city of NO, not the entire state. A mayor has no power beyond the city limits. But this is another thread I will not take part in.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Prior to my getting the CWP (years ago), we had a hurricane that a lot of people did not evacuate (me included).
    The following 5 days we were without power, had National Guard handing out MREs, ice, and water.
    The state of emergency was still in effect, and looting was taking place on those houses that were evacuated.
    The wild life were displaced and it was not uncommon to encounter something that bit or had toxin.

This bill has merit and should be passed.

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Sounds like a good idea but what happens when you have to evacuate across state lines. All of a sudden you become a felon for illegally carrying?

9. danf_fl

From what I gather, this is only good in FL during emergencies.

10. 25-5

25-5 New Member

FL already allows carry in your car without any permit. Some other states too.

11. TDS92A

True. But if you have to abandon your vehicle, then you have to leave the weapons behind. The bill would permit the owner to carry the weapons with them if that happened.

12. TDS92A

True. But if you have to abandon your vehicle, then you have to leave the weapons behind. The bill would permit the owner to carry the weapons with them if that happened.

13. danf_fl

I look at it as a way to reduce looting and an additional tool available.

14. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

I guess the FL bill is a small step in the right direction. Though, they need to pass what we have here in Arizona, Constitutional Carry.

If you are a citizen who could pass a NICS check then you don't need a permit from the state to exercise your natural right of self defense. Legally you can carry whatever you want as long as it is legal at a federal level. I see lots of OC here and I have been given to understand that about 40% of the rural folks in Pima county carry at all times and about 5-10% carry in Tucson. When I am in town I will almost always see at least one person OC.

Kinda makes the criminal types be VERY careful on whom they pray.

15. danf_fl

Please remember that Florida (like Illinois) has one city that rules what the rest of the state will do.

16. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Awww isn't that sweet they're giving us permission to exercise our 2nd amendment rights.

17. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree.

While the Bill may not be perfect, it doesn't have to be. Its a step in the right direction. We need pro-gun laws on the books.

And no, I don't agree with asking permission from the gooberment to exercise our rights. But having pro-gun laws on the books is a form of protection for our side against over-zealous prosecutors or police.

18. 4sig

4sig New Member

Constitutional carry should be the law of the land so that state/ municipal borders are not an issue. Either the 2A is valid or not if it is then that should resolve issues

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

19. TDS92A

The next hurricane could fix that. :D