Fixing to buy an SKS. ???

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Beastazz, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

When buying a used SKS from a gun shop or show what should I look for. Are there parts that wear really easy or what? There is one at a local shop that looks almost brand new in my opinion, it has no gashes in the wood and it has a blade not spike bayonet. I am truly unsure of the model besides it being an SKS. He is asking $275 for it. Is that too much? I have an H&R shotgun I am refinishing that I was gonna trade for it plus cash. What do y'all think?

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Is it Russian or Chinese? I think, with the blade bayonet, it is probably Russian, but you need to check, that will make a difference in the price.

3. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

Well, it's like 40 min away but yes when I go I will try to take some pics. And if it is Russian is that good or bad?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Yugoslavian also have a bladed bayonet.

Russian or Norinco and you are good to go. Yugo's are good too, but they don't have a chrome lined barrel.

5. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

russian better but good luck on finding one of those. check to see if the barrel is pinned or milled. probably pinned and chinese. the chinese made way more than the russians. you can look up some of the good marking on google and this site. that would tell you where it was made. i have a norinco with a pinned barrel that was a reproduction. the less cool one of most sks's. it is fun easy weapon. and will always fire. $$ doesnt sound that bad depending on what it is. it is about average $$ for pawn shops and guns shows around here if not just a little low. research more 1st please.

6. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

Ok well I asked a friend to grab a pic and here it is.

Attached Files:

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

You have a Chinese Norinco there. :cool: Get it!

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Looks like it to me too. Get it. That is the "spike" bayonet.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  9. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

Which SKS rifles have a chrome lined barrel?

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Norinco's are chrome lined.

11. Beastazz

Beastazz New Member

Is it just norico's

12. LKermit

LKermit New Member

Folks:

That is not a Norinco, it is an Albanian SKS. There were only about 5,000 of them ever imported, and they go for about $400 and up on Gunbroker, and they go quickly. Grab that rifle ASAP!

Notice the extra long hand guard?

KTF

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Thanks for the correction! Does it have a chrome lined barrel?

14. LKermit

LKermit New Member

I believe the answer is "Yes", but to be certain, you can check the inlet end of the receiver for the chrome layer. It should be readily visible. It'll be very shiney, and show a noticeable overlay on the steel receiver. Good luck!

KTF

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Very Cool! I've never handled one of those. I heard they were of very good quality.