Fixing cracked stock

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Hectocotylus, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

I guys I just got a cheap .22 rifle for 50 bucks. It had a cracked stock at one point that has been repaired. Is there a good product or way to fill the crack where it broke? I hope this pic attaches...

image-2986041756.jpg

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

For that price, I would not worry too much about looks.

I would disassemble, then use a common wood glue, clamp it together for 24 hours, and finished with a wood filler and stain.

3. Huntbear

Huntbear New Member

Take the rifle out of the stock... get you some acra-glass... I take and drill a small hole down through the crack, and insert a steel pin of some kind.... mix up a small amount of the acra-glass, fill in the crack, (overfill actually) let it dry for 48 hours... sand down to stock level.

Pick up your favorite color or spray paint... and paint the stock. I have done about a dozen of these over the years.... my buddies pick up a cheap .22 for the kids, and it has a broken stock, I fix it up this way... paint it pink for the girls (if they like pink) or green, blue, I have even done some custom camo...

The kids love it... they have a one of a kind .22.

4. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Thanks for the advice. The stock is already repaired in that it is glued back together already. I just want to make the crack look better. Are there different color wood fillers or do I need to stain it all when I am done?

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Any hardware store will have wood filler. Or fill the existing crack with epoxy that is mixed with a little wood dust(from sanding). The wood dust will give it added strength and color. Or use epoxy without the wood dust.

6. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

canebreak is on the right track
    if the cracked area is weak enough it can be pulled apart pull it apart and apply a two part epoxy then apply pressure to get it back as close to its original position with furniture clamps and allow to cure.
    once cureddrill a 3/8" dia hole cross ways through the cracked area apply 2 part epoxy into the hole and smear some on a 3/8' hard wood dowel and drive into the hole and bottom it out. cut off flush and sand smooth and flush with the stock.