fixing an old bryco jennings nine

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by marlin-owner, Nov 13, 2012.

1. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

so i have an old bryco jennings nine with a jiminez frame and a bryco jennings nine slide. kinda frankensteined together with spare parts. all it needs is the sear assembly and the sear spring. on e-gunparts.com its about 18 dollars. is it worth it? what if it works and can be a beater truck gun? any info will help. i want to fix it. it was my first pistol.... what do you all think???

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ummmmm pitch it far and hard? Ya sounds good to me since both of them companies are individually on the most common fail list for pistols.

3. zx9rt1

zx9rt1 New Member

How much do you have in it so far?

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I think that question should answer any doubt as to the value you put on your life!

My life is worth a boat-load more than $18. [​IMG]

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

A couple fingers at the very least is worth more than that

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Toss it and buy a Hi-Point if you want a truck gun. Reliable enough, tough as nails and 100% warranted for life.

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Marlin

I usually jump all over members who trash another members gun but in this case I must agree with the advice above.

Please don't take it as any desire to insult something you own but rather as legitimate concern for your safety.

Both Byrco and Jennings are know for catastrophic failure and injuries to the shooter.

A hybrid of the two would scare me more than Rosie O'donnel working the stripper pole with a spoon in each hand...:D

Seriously buddy, the few bucks you could sell it for is not worth the guilt when it blows up on the next guys face or the bad press for all gun makers everytime one of thes things decides to bite the hand that feeds it.

Tack

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

This is the bad part of us havin a similar handle-i thought you was jumpin on me there for a minute tack;)

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I had a Jennings nine. I sold it. Never looked back. I still own a Jennings J-22. It took me about a year to decide to spend $4 on a part to fix the 22. I dont shoot it much. But it was a gun I bought when I was poor. I keep it to simply remind me of the long road I have been down.

You say yours was your first gun. If it is a situation like mine I understand. If you are talking about just not wanting it to be broken I understrand that feeling. However if you are wanting to fix it and use it regularly I wouldnt waste the $18. Go to a pawn shop and spend $75 on a used High Point.

It will last a long time and you wont be all pissed at it because it jams every third shot.

10. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Woah...them are close handles! Had I noticed two "Marlin's" I'd have used the OP's whole handle to avoid confusion.

Glad you caught my drift before firing back Marlinman. ;)

Tack

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya that could have been REALLY bad;)

12. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Hey, any gun is better than no gun in a gun fight. I guess I have bought a dozen or so Jennings, Bryco or what ever name they go by for less than $30 or $40 just to turn them at the next Police Buy Back Event. Heck, I am not embarrassed to do so, I normally get a $100 grocery gift card for each one. That's a 60 to 70% profit on each and it takes a POS, IMO, off the streets.

13. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

i would not shoot it often. if not at all. it was my first pistol i bought with my own money. and i just dont want it to be broken. i would only shoot it if it was all i had available. i dont want to get rid of it... i bought it as a whole pistol years ago, and ended up with a cracked frame i destroyed the frame beyond ever being able to function again and built it from spare parts that i had around... the only thing i didnt have was the sear assembly. i have not loaded it since it broke. if i do get it fixed i am gonna take it to a gunsmith and ask if its remotely safe to fire. and if so i will put it away... just to say i have built a gun. it has sentimental value to me. its a first of two things to me.

14. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

guns are more to me then weapons. they are a passion of my life. even if i am not regularly shooting them. this may sound crazy but they keep me company, make me feel safe. liberals dont get it. i dread the day that they become banned and my life long passion is outlawed. i somehow attached myself to firearms, and every gun i own and have ever owned i take apart and memorize what makes them tick. i also hear alot of people bashing certain makes and models. i would buy one to see how to improve it. my life long dream is to become a gunsmith and design a firearm. the way this world is going its not likely. thats why i am trying to familiarize myself to all sorts of guns so when the russians decide to invade i can fix firearms to keep people safe. alot of gun haters have no idea what its like to have a passion like this. its not anything that can be put into words... when people bash guns like bryco or rohm, i think to myself ill bet i could make it work. thats just the tip of the iceberg on how i feel about the passion we all share.

15. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I always have something like this. First it was watches. Collected large dive watches. Would even wear them to bed. My poor girlfriend's head got whacked more than a plastic mole in a toddler's arcade mall. Even thumped myself a few times forgetting about them. Once I took a chunk out of a doorjam large enough to fit your palm in, loosened the rest so it was flopping from the top. Also did knives, but that faded fast when I realized how much I hated finding a place to carry one.

I'm with ya on the anti-follower tip. I go the exact route everyone else talks smack about, just to spite them and prove the norm is wrong. I hate trend and popularity. Hahaha

16. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

I saw ja nine detonate at the range. Why would you join a forum if not for others opinions?

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Trigger actuated grenade.

18. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have owned 5 Jennings over the years. The metal that they are made of is part of the problem. They do not hold up to a lot of full power rounds. Two of the ones that I had, had plastic caps on the back of the firing pins. They were supposed to show you that the gun was cocked. They flew out of the back of the guns after 2 or 3 trips to the range. I have seen them with cracked frames. I have also seen large gouges in the underside of the slides. I am not afraid of the 22. I dont feel it has enough power to really grenade the gun. I do not feel that way about the 9mm.

If I did not have a gun, and that was all I could afford, I would buy the 22. Some people say save up for something better. Some people would need two years to save up for a Jennings. I understand. I have been there.

20. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I must ask you to prove that a shooter has been injured by a failure of either weapon. There was a successful lawsuit against Bryco because someone pointed a gun at his sons face and pulled the trigger. The only proof I have seen is internet opinion and bull manure. Intentional failures such as screwing a bolt into the barrel and pulling the trigger do not count.

Poor people need weapons even more than us that are more fortunate. Quite often a Jennings or a Hi Point is all they can afford. Making up tales or spreading bad information is wrong on so many levels.