fixing a folding knife

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by james_black, Apr 5, 2010.

1. james_black

james_black New Member

I have this folding knive which it cracked by the handle, from one side to the other.
    I tried to superglue it but it recracked again.
    Any suggestions on how to fix it? Homemade remedie maybe?
    It is a plastic handle knive. It is new and I don't wanna throw it away.
    Thanks.
    By the way...its there any palce that actually fix folding knives? Just curious.

2. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Can you send it back to the manufacturer? That's usually the best way to go about it for production knives. Having somebody fix it is usually more expensive than the knife itself (if it's a mid priced knife).

Can you post any pics? That would help. There are a few guys who modify and fix folding knives, a picture would help know whether one of them would be the guy you need.

3. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

What you have is a conundrum. I have done it a few times on older knives and it is very time consuming. The problem is finding the proper hanlde material. If you can find a handle you like you have to break off old handle then carefully file down the flared out portion of the old handle rivets. Then drill appropriate holes in new handle and attach and repean rivets till handle is tight. Then simply sand and smooth the edges of the new handle till it fits properly.

4. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I forgot to add something in my previous post. The guy I use for folding knife repairs and mods is Steve Rice (known as STR on several forums). He's quite good and very reliable. Here's his blog:
    STRsBack Yard Knife Works

Steve doesn't enjoy working with pinned slipjoints, so those knives go to Muskrat Man Custom Knives when they need to be fixed or modified in some way. http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_store/knifestore16-y.html

MM does good work for a decent price.

Both of these guys really love what they do.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  5. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Both Steve and Muskratman do excellent work.
    For the record, I also do repairs.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Welcome back, haven't seen you around in a while...

7. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

Been busy in the shop!