Fixing a chip in the frame?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by sputnik1988, Jul 26, 2013.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've been doing some haggling and I think I've got myself a Sig 226 (old model, made in Germany, No rail)

The only real issue with it is a small chip on the frame, where the rail would be, its about the size of an eraser and very shallow. What is the best way to fix this? I really dont care about the finish as I'll likely have it refinished anyway, thanks.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

It may be okay, but I would recommend that a smith sees it before the transaction takes place.

3. sputnik1988

Oh I've shot it quite a bit, it belongs to a friend of mine. He bought it from the LGS that way, it's purely cosmetic. Very small, very shallow.

4. danf_fl

I would use that as a "haggling" point.

Then I would leave it as is.
    (If it's working, don't fix it.)

5. sputnik1988

I'm essentially getting the gun for $200:D I think I'm doing alright.

6. danf_fl

Sounds like a good price for it.

7. sputnik1988

He's tired of not being able to find 9mm and wants my motorcycle, so we worked out a deal, we are both happy... Well, he's happy, im ecstatic:D

8. jimmiep

jimmiep New Member

Take it to someone who can tig weld. He needs to use a 5% Nicklaus rod and keep it cool while he welds it. Then you get to file it and polish back to a nice finish. For cosmetic effect it can be repaired. Sigs are very nice weapons. Well worth the time and money to fix and refurbish.