Fixin' Up My Winchester 1895

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Trez, May 13, 2011.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I decided to fix up the Winchester 1895 I "found" in my collection. I couldnt bring myself to part out a historic gun that could be shootible. Its a shame, it looks like this coulda been a nice rifle before it was forgotten :(... Theres only one spot on the side of the receiver where the bluing has major wear.
    Well I cleaned it up some and put it back together, I ran into a issue and a couple of missing parts. Its missing the mainspring and carrier spring, luckly out of the few replacement parts available these can be found. The rear sight is also missing, but im trying to find one of the same era of the gun.
    The magazine ( yes it has a mag, not a tube!) seems to move just a hair when you close the lever, but returns to the correct spot when you open it again. I dont think it suppose do this?
    I still have to take it to a gunsmith to have the barrel installed, but im figuring I can have this old gun fixed for under $300 including new stocks... Think its worth it?
    Does anybody know when this was made? I thought 1899, but am not sure.. The Sn# 214xx. Any help?

The original thread is here... http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/when-clean-fix-gun-leave-alone-41542/

Attached Files:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations on your decision. It never hurts to have a good gunsmith look at an old firearm.

3. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

One of John Browning's greatest designs...It was arguably the first LARGE CALIBER hunting rifles that had the repeat fire capability of the small caliber winchesters

Restoring this would only help you. Best of luck.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Yes 1899
    What caliber?

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

thanks for the date....

Its in .30 US (.30-40 Krag) Too bad its not a .405 like Roosevelt's
    Wow this gun was designed by John Browning!!??

6. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

[/QUOTE]Wow this gun was designed by John Browning!!??[/QUOTE]

I hope that wasn't sarcasm, but yea. John Browning in my opinion is one of the greatest firearms designers in history...

his inventions include the

winchester '86, '94 and '95, Colt 1911, Colt 1895 "Potato Digger," Winchester 1897, Browning Superposed, Browning 1918B.A.R., Browning 1919 .30, Browning M2 .50 and many many many more...

He built his first gun when he was 13 or so in his dad's shop from scrap parts.

7. Wambli

Wambli Member

Glad you decided it to bring it back to life. Great rifle!

8. dodge

dodge New Member

On my 1895 in 30-40 I have a Lyman Model 21 ladder aperture sight which I believe is correct for the era. Mine was built in 1926 and inherited from my father.

9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

He also designed the Winchester 1887 against his better judgement but it was what Winchester wanted.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Hey you got the spiffy sight for it..... I was looking those up and they tend to go for some bucks!! I was just trying to find a rear sight that matches the finish of the rest of the gun. Ive read that the stock sight that came with them was of the buckhorn type.

No its not scarcasm, I was just surpised that one gun maker would design a gun for another company, didnt he have his own company?

11. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

He had an agreement with other companies that he would sell them his designs at a flat rate...once they started getting a bit more famous, he asked to be paid royalites as well (he definitely deserved them for his small flat rate) The company (I think it was winchester or colt) denied him...so he made his own factory located in Utah. since then Browning now has factories in Japan and Belgium, but the headquarters is still in Utah

12. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

shooting the old stuff

One just surfaced here in the land of OTZ a brother to yours in .303 Brit and was thought to be a junker, the lucky recipiant of said gift gun decided to clean the barrel and though the rifleing was dark but strong he still found it to still very accurate shooter.

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Ouch!.. I just ordered all my missing parts for this gun (except the stocks). Kinda pricey. I guess I should consider myself lucky just finding the parts, theres not too many out there.
    I actually took the last of many of the needed parts that I could find!! Hope nobody else needed them! :p

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Chop, chop! We need to see the finished product.

15. CA357

Excellent! Please keep us in the loop and remember, pictures man, pictures!

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

As soon as I make any progress, you guys will know!!

I cant wait to fix it... I found a shop in town that has 5 or 6 boxes of vintage .30-40 ammo. Its the Remington klean-bore in the green and red box.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  17. red ryder

red ryder New Member

i would leave the old stocks. it's an old gun, I like the look of a gun that had had a good life.

now if the stocks were broken, and the blueing was GONE, and it was rusting...then yes i would do a full restoration...but I think this one could look good as a functioning classic.

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Thats mostly the plan.. Im pretty sure the stocks arnt gonna last very long if i start shooting it.. Im gonna get a set of replacement stocks so I can keep the originals for their "historic" value (they have the brand of the ranch that owned the rifle at some time..) As for the rest of the gun, Im just gonna fix it and see what happens.... (I wish my parts were here...:( )

19. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Wow!! Ask and ye shall receive.... I got my parts today!:D If anybodys looking for hard to find gun parts check out:
    homesteadfirearms.com
    They said they specialize in old western Winchesters, but have lots of other hard to find parts and even sell guns...

I ran into a couple of snags.... Does anybody know how the mag is held in place? It seems to me that its just held by pressure, I cant find anything that actually holds it. Ive looked at the schematics and it doesnt show anything holding it. It moves just a hair when you close the lever, but doesnt seem right to me... Im also having trouble removing the mainspring screw, the threads are all messed up. I got a new one and it looks like there isnt any threading into the tang, so im hoping i can dremel the screw down as far as I can without hitting the tang and it will just "fall" out...
    Any ideas??... :confused:

Attached Files:

20. CA357

I don't think a Dremel is a good idea at all. Perhaps take it to either a local gunsmith and have him remove the screw. While you're there, ask him about the magazine retention.