Fixed my first broken stock

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by zeke73, Apr 30, 2011.

1. zeke73

zeke73 New Member

This is a Sprinfield 87A 22 semi. auto. I broke back in the early 80's could not find a stock so I figured I try to fix myself. I know it's not worth anything but now its atleast useable. I will put pics the best I can.
    [​IMG]
    24 hr 2 part epoxyed together
    [​IMG]
    used wood epoxy paste to fill in missing wood
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

part 2 coming it took an hour to get this far.lol

2. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Hey, the last picture looks like it's just spalted lumber. ;)

3. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Sweet!!! Any suggestions on repairing just a crack??

4. zeke73

zeke73 New Member

Part 2,

the oblong hole on top is were I drilled a hole 3/4 the way down into the stock and epoxyed a wood dowel in to it.
    [​IMG]
    broken trigger guard
    [​IMG]
    the finished product, not to happy with the finish but it's just going to be my garage gun for varmits.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please feel free to tell me what I could have did different, you can't hurt my feelings thats how you learn. Thanks

5. zeke73

zeke73 New Member

Trez I can not give any safe suggestion untill I try it on my own first to see if it works. This was my first stock repair and being a welder I personaly hate wood, but I'm trying.

6. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Great job repairing that stock! In regards to the cracked or broken stock, you can drill tiny holes & use brass stock repair pins. They're available at brownells.com, or you can make your own. I recommend the brownells 1s because they're already ribbed to retain the epoxy. Be sure to coat them with epoxy so they won't ever move.

7. zeke73

zeke73 New Member

Thanks guy's! Stalkingbear, that sounds like a good way of doing a crack witch I have a friends gun he want's to have a cracked stock fixed. My question is how do you blend in the holes to the finish if you don't redo the whole stock? And even then you can see I couldn't blend that in you can see the repair.

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

What you can do is cut the brass repair pin a tad short-leaving it below the level. Then fill in the rest with wood chips that you have from drilling the hole and stain it as necessary.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

That is an outstanding job!

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Job done well! Congrats.

11. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Its a great feeling to shoot a weapon you have brought back to life with your own two hands. Job well done.

12. zeke73

zeke73 New Member

Thanks everyone, that makes it easyer for a guy to try again or something new. Jesse17 you must know wood I had to google what spalted wood was thanks.

13. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I spent a few years obsessed with woodworking. Now I have a double car garage sized shop full of full size wood tools that I can't get to because of all my wifes horse crap in the way. :mad:

You did a good job. You should be proud! :)

14. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Looks like a job well done. Always great to bring one back to life...

Jim............