Fixed Iron Sights

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by fupuk, Feb 1, 2012.

1. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Well im looking for fixed sights to get for a 9mm carbine that i should be getting in a few weeks. It says the rail is pretty much identical to the Ar and anything will fit.

Thanks, Erik

Attached Files:

2. frostyone

frostyone New Member

Look into Magpul Mbus flip up sights. They are inexpensive compared to other back up sights and are still good quality. They should mount right on your rail.

3. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Magpul buis is a good choice, run them on my ar and have had zero issues and for the price you can't go wrong

4. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Has anyone tried any products from Troy Industries? I like the look of their sight plus they are made of alluminum?

5. frostyone

frostyone New Member

I have no personal experience with Troy but I have read nothing but good things about them. I will be ordering a Troy battle rail next week for my AR build.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I like Troy BUIS but the Gen 2 MBUS are nice as well. If you want fixed take a look at the ones Daniel Defense puts out.

7. scottybaccus

scottybaccus New Member

One thing to note...

Standard AR type sights are calibrated for elevation changes using .223/5.56 ammunition. The elevation adjustments will be pretty useless with a 9mm, as marked. You could commit a few settings to memory, blow off the adjustment, or maybe pick a compact, fixed elevation rear sight that would be less complex and take up less space.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Are you saying the MOA adjustment of an iron sight won't work due to the difference in caliber? Or are you talking about BDC optics?

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Max effective range for the 9MM in a carbine is 100-125 yards. So just zero it at 50 yards, apply a bit of blue Loctite, and call it good. You'll be very very close out to 125.:p:)

10. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Im guessing at furthest i will be shooting 100 yards with it.

11. scottybaccus

scottybaccus New Member

An A2/A3 type rear sight has a mechanical zero point, then clicks up to marks indicating 300, 400, 500, 600 (I forget if yds or mtrs). These reference elevations are specific to 5.56, close for .223, but way off for handgun calibers. You can use them with any caliber having a similar trajectory, but dialing from a 100 yard zero to 300 yards on the sight alone will be a big miss if the trajectory is much different.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Understanding now. It's been 10 years since I've had a carry handle on a rifle and 7 since I've used a rear BUIS like the MaTech.

13. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

I use the troy DOA battle sight on my AR and love it. Ive had no problems. it is a bit more that the mbus though. BTW do not by an mbus set from ebay. there are chinese knocks of magpul gear all over the place there.

[​IMG]

14. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

IMHO many of the so called chinese knocks off's are much better in their quality then what Magpul is making.:rolleyes:

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

16. rifleshooter474

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

rifleshooter, you can't be serious, "chinese knocks of magpul gear" better thn Magpul itself? Where do you get that?

I have a lot of Magpul and have no complaints. All their plastic is good, even their polymer DVDs... :D

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You know, you're right, sorry. I spoke before I really thought about it. It's a little embarrassing :eek:

19. rifleshooter474

Well we all have are own thoughts about what quality means.
    I have followed Magpul for years as they had quality problems with their Mags and would not admit them till they were forced to do so. They even invented a cover to keep the Ammo. from poping out of their Mags.
    Then they were going to build the greatest AR-15 in the world that sure went no where. And now Remington is finding out they bought a pig in a poke with the ACR. against the FNSCAR it's a toy and a cheap toy at best.
    They make any plastic item they feel can make them money most are copies of really good products.
    I have looked at their plastic sights at the firearm shows for $40 what would you expect from a Company that copies about anything?
    Magpuls sales mouth Drake Clark is well aware of the Companies quality problems I sure need not point them out to him.
    Now if you trust their products I say it's your call not mine, don't blame me some day when a Magpul product fails you and you get hurt.:rolleyes:

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Good Lurdddd that's something else. Que the circus music.