1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may serve to encourage others..
Please feel free to also log your own training in this thread!!! :

I'll make a start
...first about me I am approaching middle age and go on a lot of travel at work which involves many rich and tasty business dinners.. so I have my work cut out for me,
-- I mix cardio with Gym time... my weights focus on exercises not for looks but those that will help with tactical mobility (core+legs) + with weapons handling.
Stuff that matters.

For me the balance to strike has been to exercise enough to get a good fitness effect.. but not so much that I injure myself.
For me this balance is at 4 exercises a week.. 2 cardios and 2 Ironpumps.

Last year all summer/fall I was at 6 workouts a week and I got quite hard+ fit and started looking seriously good.. so much so that women my daughters age started to interact with me in a subtly different way.. ..
..but all good things must come to an end...and I started getting bad tennis elbow from unassisted pullups (now I only do assisted pull ups to lower the stress on the joints).. so I had to throttle down..
And then I got a new very busy job with a lot of travel but very good $$... So I basically exchanged fitness for $$ ...hopefully not a mistake.. I am getting in the years were getting "back into it" is harder than Maintaining.. But its a lot of extra dollars.. so..
Since March I am exercising again more serious trying to get mostly back to where I was...... starting almost from the bottom.. usually 4 times a week.

This week:

Wednesday Iron Pump (a late start in the week for me again.. but made it a good one since I had time for once)
- 3 sets of push-ups to failure (for quickly getting up out of the prone position)
- 3 sets of pull ups to failure (gravity edge type assist) (to help climbing )
- 3 sets of standing jumps to failure (quick movement in terrain)
- 2 sets of seated leg press to failure (movement in terrain under load)
- 2 sets of hip abduction (pushing out) (tactical movement in terrain under load)
- 2 sets of hip adduction (pushing in) (tactical movement in terrain under load)
- 3 sets of seated rows to failure (heavy) (navigating obstacles)
- 2 sets of frontal raises (for endurance in holding the weapon steady)
- 2 sets of lateral raises (for endurance in holding the weapon steady)
- 3 sets of calf raises to failure (movement in terrain under load)

Friday: Hill run in the cold.. slow but I am improving

Today I was in a hurry ...Gym about to close..

3 sets of squats (light-moderate weight) (quick movement in terrain under load)
3 sets pullups (gravity edge assisted) (overcome obstacles)
3 sets pushups to failure (to enable quick changing of location/firing position)
2 (or 3 not sure now) sets of seated rows (negotiate obstacles)
3 sets of a rotational shoulder exercise I dont know the name of, in lieu of my raises ( for weapons handling endurance)
2 sets shoulder shrugs (heavy) (for picking up items and to aid shoulder endurance when holding a Carbine at the patrol ready on a long patrol etc)
2 sets calf raises to failure (mobility under load in terrain)

Tomorrow:

Fast Ruck march.. not super heavy ruck only 33 lbs... but unlike my runs my ruck marches are FAST ... not faster than a run of course.. just fast for a ruck march... basically at the speed of a light jog.

I am hopeful this will encourage others.
If you exercise, please log it here to help set an example :)

·
Premium Member
8,281 Posts
Its certainly worth training to keep fit. A incident had me thinking how much regarding health depends on your genes what you inherit from your parents. A friend of mine who ran marathon and triathlon etc never smoked had low cholesterol, narrowly survived a heart attack. I know others who smoke and drink excessively, but have no issues.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
My hand gun accuracy was lagging. I started working my wrist and grip. It's back to where i used to be. Started working on my stepper now for cardio. Going to start push ups soon. And work towards the weight bench then. Im over due. I have not done much since my bypass. It's time again. Need to get the old me back!
Wood Plant Bedrock Trunk Grass

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Today did an Iron pump.
It was all upper body and a small amount of core.
I did not do any legs because otherwise this would have been day 6 of legs (if i count the intervening runs and ruckmarches) which would have been too much .
So today was all abount climbing and weapons handling:

3 Sets of (assisted) Pullups
2 sets of standing overhead military dumbell presses
3 times planking
3 times bent over dumbell rows
2 sets frontal raises
2 sets lateral raises
3 sets rotational shoulder exercise I do not know the name of until failure

I had planned to do incline dumbbell bench between the dumbbell rows and the frontal raises this would have really rounded out this workout but I forgot..

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even tho I have company over for the holidays I managed to sneak away to the Gym.

3 sets Pull-ups (gravity edge assisted) .. for climbing and overcoming obstacles.
3 sets standing overhead military press. for lifting things such as throwing a ruck over a fenceline
3 sets standing jumps.. agility
3 sets of 150m weighed sled drag.. agility in steep terrain with a load.

3 sets inline bench ... to get up from out of cover as part of fire-and-movement (I admit burpees are better for that but this is what I had energy left for after the standing jumps and sled drag)
2 sets frontal raises .. weapons handling in standard positions
2 sets lateral raises ... weapons handling in awkward firing positions
3 sets should shrugs.. litter carry or ammo boxes.

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
I’ve been running the past couple weeks, started out on the gravel roads around my house, no big deal just running, now that it’s gotten a little colder I go to the gym and run but I get a lot of bad looks... apparently it’s looked down on to have an AR-15 strapped to my back while running :oops: :rolleyes:......:p:D

·
Banned
5,552 Posts
You guys make me tired just reading about all the exercise.
Other than bringing firewood the most exercise I get now is cooking , cleaning , laundry, and taking care of my wife.

I do manage to get out back and shoot some, though.

If everything comes to a head like I'm pretty convinced it will, at least they'll find me in a pile of brass by the kitchen sink lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As for me, I am 22 years old, I train around 6 years alredy and I do mostly exercises with my own bodyweight like pull-ups, muscle-ups, dips, leg raises and so on. For the past couple of years, I also take care of my nutrition. I try to eat less sugar and carbs, but more proteins and healthy fats. I also use some additional supplements. If you're interested, I buy some of them here https://rats.army/. Mainly it is l-carnetine, creatin and ipamorelin. Together it helps me to keep my energy high so that I can train more and harder, also it improves my sleeping pattern and as a result recovery is much better. I usually train 3-4 times per week both outdoors and indoors.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I lost my way a lot during covid with gyms closed and am only now getting back on the horse.

Today (Friday)
  • 3 sets overhead military dumbell press
  • 3 sets dumbell flat bench press
  • 2 sets frontal raises
  • 2 sets lateral raises
  • 3 sets shoulder shrugs
  • 2 sets calf raises.

Tuesday:
  • 3 sets pullups (assisted)
  • 3 sets squats (light)
  • 3 sets dips (assisted)
  • 2 sets hip adductions
  • 2 sets hip abductions
  • 3 sets back extensions.

Wednesday: Ruck march 1 hour

Tommorrow I will do a repeat of Tuesday And Sunday another Ruck march.

I havent had a proper exercise week in months, so this is not as much as my former fitness orgies but the maximum I feel I can do for getting back into it.

IMO, this is also a form of shooting training.
And let's not forget this useful Axoim:

"Men, who will follow orders to kill you, exercise everyday. Do you?"

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After last weeks light workouts getting me readyfor this week of more serious total body workouts.

Just got done with:

3 sets pull ups ( assisted), to enable climbing
3 sets of dips (assisted) an enabler for getting out of cover quickly
3 sets legpress (moderatly heavy) enabler for walking with a load in terrain
3 sets overhead military dumbell press
3 sets incline dumbell bench , enabler for getting out of cover quickly
3 sets frontal raises (weapons handling)
3 sets lateral raises ( weapons handling)
2 sets hip adductions ( enabler for walking in terrain with a load
2 sets hip abduction (enabler for moving in terrain with a load)
3 sets shoulder shrugs (carrying stuff)
2 sets back extensions on roman chair , enabler for mobility in terrain

I did forget one exercise, bent over dumbell rows and/or deadlifts will do next time.
Make no mistake, I am still a middle aged moderately fat slob, but I know what I need to do to get out of this funk.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Old injuries preclude my doing strength exercises every day of the week, but I do what I can. The other day was typical, though I do vary the areas of the body and intensity from workout to workout.

warm-up (cardio) -- 10+ mins, moderate intensity
hip adductors -- 5+ sets of 50
hip abductors -- 5+ sets of 50
quad extensions -- 4+ sets of 15
ham curls -- 4+ sets of 15
squats (air) -- 4+ sets of 50, sometimes with dumbbells in hand
calves -- 4+ sets of 25
row, seated -- 4+ sets of 25
pulldowns, seated -- 4+ sets of 25
chest flys -- 4+ sets of 25, or 4x15 if with heavy weight
back flys -- 4+ sets of 25, or 4x15 if with heavy weight
chest press -- 4+ sets of 25, or 4x15 if with heavy weight
abs, seated (machine) -- several sets of 50, varying the weight, interspersed between other exercises
cardio -- 45-60mins, modest to moderate intensity depending on leg strength
stretching -- all muscles hit, including key muscles from old injuries

Next day will involve biceps, triceps, shoulders, modest amount with legs/chest/back (to loosen up the aches), and higher-intensity cardio

Can't do that every day. Depends on how the old aches go. But usually. Weather permitting, I'm often doing cycling of up to 20mi, in addition. Some days, doing a second gym session in which I'm mostly cardio and stretching, with only a couple of key strength exercises.

Nicely, leg strength's up 40% and more, this year over last.

Wish it could be more. But 40yrs beyond the athletic years does a number on a body that once did performance athletics and adventure seeking.

Reactions: Bigcat

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Old injuries preclude my doing strength exercises every day of the week, but I do what I can. The other day was typical, though I do vary the areas of the body and intensity from workout to workout.

warm-up (cardio) -- 10+ mins, moderate intensity
hip adductors -- 5+ sets of 50
hip abductors -- 5+ sets of 50
quad extensions -- 4+ sets of 15
ham curls -- 4+ sets of 15
squats (air) -- 4+ sets of 50, sometimes with dumbbells in hand
calves -- 4+ sets of 25
row, seated -- 4+ sets of 25
pulldowns, seated -- 4+ sets of 25
chest flys -- 4+ sets of 25, or 4x15 if with heavy weight
back flys -- 4+ sets of 25, or 4x15 if with heavy weight
chest press -- 4+ sets of 25, or 4x15 if with heavy weight
abs, seated (machine) -- several sets of 50, varying the weight, interspersed between other exercises
cardio -- 45-60mins, modest to moderate intensity depending on leg strength
stretching -- all muscles hit, including key muscles from old injuries

Next day will involve biceps, triceps, shoulders, modest amount with legs/chest/back (to loosen up the aches), and higher-intensity cardio

Can't do that every day. Depends on how the old aches go. But usually. Weather permitting, I'm often doing cycling of up to 20mi, in addition. Some days, doing a second gym session in which I'm mostly cardio and stretching, with only a couple of key strength exercises.

Nicely, leg strength's up 40% and more, this year over last.

Wish it could be more. But 40yrs beyond the athletic years does a number on a body that once did performance athletics and adventure seeking.
Seems like you have a very nice workout program indeed!!!
Great job!!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My work out today was supposed to have happened yesterday.
This way as I get back into shape it would have allowed me a Mon, Thursday, Sunday schedule for this week given plenty of recovery time for my out of shape muscles and tendons. However something came up yesterday.

it is my hope that this program will help me be tactically useful.

So this is what I did in order:

• 3 sets of Squats (light, since i am not my old self) for mobility under load in terrain
  • 3 sets of pullups (assisted), to help with climbing up trenches or over obstacles of any kind
  • 3 sets of dips (assisted), to get out of cover quickly
  • 2 sets dumbell military Press; to help teammates get over obstacles
  • 2 sets hip adductions; for mobility under load in terrain
  • 2 sets hip abductions; for mobility under load in terrain
  • 2 sets per side Dumbell Bent over rows; carrying stuff
  • 3 sets incline bench; to get out of cover quickly
  • 3 sets frontal hammer raises (weapons handling)
  • 2 sets back extensions on roman chair; for mobility under load in terrain

I skipped a couple workout as I was quickly running out of gas in the second half:
  • lateral raises
  • calf raises
  • Shoulder shrugs

I will see if I feel recovered enough Sunday to do the same again.
Otherwise I will do a light run this weekeend

1 - 20 of 45 Posts