Fishing.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by jjfuller1, Jun 18, 2014.

1. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I know its a gun forum but... I need some tips. I've fished a handful of times. But not lots. And I haven't in several years. I just bought the wifey a new fishing pole combo. The pole says 6 to 15lbs but the reel only says 4 to to 8. In my haste I bought 10lb line.. Should I return it due to the low value on the reel? Or will it still be okay to use??

I assumed reel and pole were the same... Being a combo deal.... My mistake. Lol

2. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

What do you plan on fishing? In general, you can take those numbers and multiply them by 2 or 3. I once caught 2 spanish macks and a silver trout on the same line, using a triple drop rig. That line was 5lb test and the pole was a 10lb pole. Not sure on what the reel was, but it was a combo deal as well. That pole damn near bent in half pulling them in, but it held. I ate well that night :D

The only thing that has ever limited me is the line. As long as you have decent line (10lb is good for bass, catfish, and most other freshwater fish) you'll be fine. Hooks make a big difference as well. Saltwater is a whole 'nother ball game. You get some big fish out there that like to really attack your lines. I'm a big fan of braided line. It's stronger, and you don't get the stretch that you do with mono-filament. It lets you feel the bites a lot better.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Use the smaller line. Fishing line tensile strength is greatly underrated. Eight pounds is a really big fish. She can always adjust the drag.

no offense and none taken

4. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

Many variables. What kind of fishing are you doing and what type of waters? It will probably all be fine for general purpose fishing, but may jot be perfect for so e areas or fish. Lots of specialty tackle and techniques in the fishing world.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

5. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Lots of useless junk out there too! :p

6. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I own tons of useless fishing tackle. Until I have a brainstorm and catch good fish on it. I have some lures in my large box that have been there for several years without catching a fish. Over Memorial Day weekend I got in a spot where there wasn't much that would work. Out of boredom I tied on one of my uselss lures and proceeded to catch 3 very nice bass about 3-4 lbs each. It saved a bad day. There is a time and place for almost all fishing tackle.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

7. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

Unless it is 10lb braid, I would maybe go with a smaller diameter line, as the 10lb mono may be difficult for her to cast unless she has a decent amount of practice. The 10 will probably work fine, but she may fight it more than enjoy it. Also if it is monofilament, it will have a lot of memory if it sits for extended periods of time, thus making it more difficult to cast. Smaller diameter line will have less memory, and be easier to cast on such a small reel. Just make sure she knows how to use the drag, and all will be kosher.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

What did you get ?...................10 lb fire wire has about the same diameter as 2 lb mono.........

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  9. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

6 or 8lb line is plenty good for general fishing.. (Go with your reel specs.) Your reel should be able to spool up with the standard 10lb line.
    Some manufacturers offer the "small diameter" sized lines which make a 10lb about the size of 4lb.(kinda sorta :))

Myself I normally reel up with 6lb Berkley Trilene green XL (my favorite line for many years) for my general fishing . Plenty strong enough to land fish with. I've reeled in some heavy cats on 6 lb. line

When I specifically go sticking the reeds for bass then I'm around 12 pounds up.. Same for "Whisker fish" I use different sticks /reels set ups when I fish specific.

10. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

So you mean all those years living back east, when I was using 40 Lb and. 60Lb test lines I was wasting my time? Ouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

11. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I've had 80lb test line cut like a knife through hot butter by a 'Cuda when fishing for Red Snapper. It's all about where you are and what you're going for. It is of course, more sporting to go with the lightest gear but that may not put meat on the table. I know a guy that knows a guy that has a compound fishing bow on his work boat. He intends to try for some Mahi Mahi with it. ;)

12. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Doc,, I have never used that heavy of line unless I was offshore fishing,, like stated above 6 to 10 pound line works for most general fresh water fishing,, I have caught fish up to 30 pounds on 6 lb. test on an ultra light rig,, took about 25 minutes to wear it out and you may be very surprised at fishing records taken on light line. I figure out in Az., you are going after fish in the panfish class so you should have plenty of oomph for that,, any trout streams around your area?

13. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Missconstrued................

This sounds JUST LIKE A GUN FORUM...............Way back when, I took my two boys nite fishing for cat fish. My young one quit on me. I hooked a 35# blue cat on his 202 zebco with 8# test line. It took 30 min. to bring it to the boat launch. It wasn't hooked persay. It came belly up, then I had to get in the water to fish it out..................Stay away from cheap 2 piece rods..............These combo's that sell for $20 or less are for kids to play with whilst camping.............If your fishin pan fish, the lighter the line the better. Don't try to hogim in...............And watch for frays on the line................

14. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

Ive got two 10# rigs, two 15# rigs, one 30#, and my shark/offshore rig which is about 700 yards of 85#. And of course, when I am fishing multiple rigs the ones that always seem to get hit the most are my 10 and 15 class rigs. I have caught a lot of big fish on them, and lost a lot of big fish on them. One day I was out in my kayak slow trolling a medium/large silver spoon for the juvenile tarpon that were working the beach I heard a huge splash behind me, looked back, nothin. Started reeling my spoon in slowly and a GD shark picked it up. What rig of course? 10lb braid, 15lb fluoro leader. 8-17 class rod with a penn 450 spinfisher. About an hour and a half later, two plus miles away I finally got him to the side of my kayak and cut it off. It was about 6'6" long, and probably in the 110# range. I really wanted that spoon back (brand new) but my wife would be pissed if I got back to the beach and was all tore up, so I let him have it. Now when I go do that I usually leave my 10's behind and just take my 30, 85, and maybe a 15. Pointless fishing story is over. Sorry.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

so many replies.. yes it was just monofilement. and yes its just general fishing. hoping for a few bass or other like sized fish. i did show her the drag last night but will probly have to again once we are out. i think i'll just use the 10lb and see how she does. i also have a small ultra light with 4lb line that will be going to. i just wanted to be sure it wouldnt be too rough on the reel.... thanks for the input gents.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The reel is rated for 4-8 lb test. If you look at the spool it will tell you how many yards of different weight lines it will hold of standard mono filament. You wont get much 10# on the spool. I dont know what you are fishing for but the middle of the rating(6#) is what the reel was designed for. If you need to use 10# get a bigger reel otherwise go to a good brand of 6# test mono. There is more to it than capacity. While the reel might hold more braided line of a heavier test the drag is not up to the load that may be placed on it. You probably have a spinning reel and you never want to crank against the drag/when line is going out. It will twist the line which will cause knots and will weaken it. Learn to use the Palomar knot for tying on terminal gear. Look it up on Google or You tube. It wont weaken the mono as much as other knots.

17. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have seen people in Fl. Catch 100 lbs. Tarpon on ten pound test . Fishing is not all fancy gear but to not over stress the gear you have . May take awhile to get that fish but experience and letting the fish tire himself out is a big part of success .

I once played a large snook for almost 45 minutes on lite gear . Just enough drag to keep the fish working and patients .

:)

18. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

This is my 10# test class snook. 41", 45 min

[​IMG]

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I fish from a kayak too but dont get off shore. Mostly fish the lakes and sometimes the rivers. You can get by on lighter line on a kayak since it is part of the drag. Pretty hard to break off even 10#. I usually fish 10# for stripers. I will go to 20# on salmon on the rivers because of snags if you let them tow you. Best to beach it and fight them. The salmon in the area I was fishing were in the 30# class and fresh.

20. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Nice fish and oh so tasty , Mmmmmmmm....! :D