Fish antibiotics?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by hussar66, Feb 12, 2013.

1. hussar66

hussar66 New Member

I've heard a lot of people stockpile fish medicine because it's the same stuff used for humans just sold over the counter under a different name. Is anyone familiar with this? What brands and what types? Thanks, have a great day.

2. cvia

cvia New Member

I'm not familiar but I have heard of this. Big with preppers.

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've read about people doing it but I don't know anyone 1st had.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard of it with animal meds but not fish.

5. doc007

doc007 New Member

Every time I hear someone say they are stocking up on fish antibiotics it makes me ask why don't they just ask a doctor for a prescription. It is better quality cheaper and comes in those handy bottles. Just my .02

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I haven't used antibiotics for a couple of years now and don't plan on using them again. I have been using essential oils that have natural antibiotic properties without the dangerous side effects of producing superbugs. So far I have successfully treated an infected tooth (got a root canal on it, but treated it with Myrrh and Clove oils for infection and pain respectively). Treated a sinus infection with saline flush that had Eucalyptus, Rosemary and Frankinsense oils.

So far so good, and no drugs!

7. fireguy

fireguy New Member

8. hussar66

hussar66 New Member

Thanks for all the responses everybody, very informative.

9. therhino

therhino New Member

Most doctors won't just hand over a prescription for an antibiotic due to liability and overuse. It may not even be legal for them to write one without a diagnosis. Going to the doc and saying "Can I have a 6-month scrip for an antibiotic so I can stockpile it for prepping?" will probably get you laughed out of the office.

10. willshoum

willshoum New Member

good for the goose......

My brother starting taking meds that were used on horses. He ain't dead yet, he believes in the fish oil and such. I can't recall what he said I need to rebuild the knees but he takes it daily, the same stuff they give race horses. A lot of women use the shampoo that are made for show horses....:eek::)

11. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

This thread go me thinking about shelf life of drugs. Which led to me finding this:

http://www.terrierman.com/antibiotics-WSJ.htm

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Therhino is right. A doctor shouldn't just freely write a prescription just because a patient wants it. They have to justify what they write if asked. I would switch doctors, personally, if I thought mine was freely writing 'scripts for whoever and whatever.

DMSO for bad knees, I think.

13. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

This thread, and the info within the links it contains should be stickied!

So reading through the information, and guess what? Bactrim (a popular anti-biotic for those alergic to the penecilin family) is exactly what Fish Sulfa Forte is! Sulfadimethoxazole 800mg, Triethoprim 160mg!

That blew my mind! Im on bactrim right now! Sorry, little excited. This is all new to me...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  14. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Works great if your gills get infected! :)

15. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

More of a scale infection...on my left leg, er I mean left "fin"

:D

16. downsouth

downsouth New Member

How do you feel about oil of oregano ? It has helped me in the past and just a great boost for the immune system overall.

17. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I use it with my pizza and keep it next to the parseley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

18. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

I randomly tuned into the Patriot Nurse channel on YouTube and she does a full blown 15 minute video on the benefits of various antibiotics to have on hand just in case. Says it could be a true life saver if needed.....and something nobody thinks of.

I scooped up a bottle of Ampicillin myself. Its a very useful general anti that can cure up most bacterial infections. Cant hurt. Good for 3 years. And yes its the EXACT same drug they prescribe for humans. For those commenting about just getting a doctor RX, well, it aint that easy unless you personally know a doc. They dont just hand out scripts of antibiotics most times....requires a visit and a reason.

19. TLuker

TLuker New Member

That's good stuff that everyone needs to keep in mind. Penicillin use to work on just about everything and then the bugs got used to it and now it rarely works. That's largely due to it being over prescribed for too many years and people not taking the full course of it after they started it. Antibiotics are nothing to play with and they shouldn't be used unless absolutely necessary.

In addition to creating superbugs, they can also really mess up the good bacteria in your gut and cause all sorts of digestive problems. :mad: