Firts time out with S&W 500

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by jebsca, Mar 10, 2012.

1. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Last month, I talked the wife into letting me get a new-to-me S&W 500. Today was the first time I have been able to take it out. I was using the cheapest ammo I could get. 325 grains.

After seeing videos of people trying to hold on after dropping the hammer and setting off a second round, I only loaded one round the first time. I was shooting across an open pit ( I am oilfield trash) about 80 yards, at a coke box. As I lined up the first shot, I had problems staying on target. Shaking more then usual, and the wind was not helping. I had to reset a few times before I just let her go. Looked to be about 6" to the right.

Next, I put in 5 rounds and try again. I keep it on paper this time. I put one low but center, and the others low and left.

Before we called it a day, I loaded her up 1 last time. This time, I am going after a water bottle. If I was missing, it was close, but I think I kept it on target. Before I fired the last shot, one of the guys I was with said to try it single handed. At first I told him no, but looking down the sights, I think it wouldn't be so bad and try it. I think a man could shoot like that for hours if he had the ammo.

This gun is alot of fun. I am looking forward to the next time I can take it out. Hope y'all were able to get out this weekend too.

2. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

I have no experience withe the s&w .500 round. I have fired a "Dirty Harry" s&w model 29. The wood grips plus magnum calibers leads to numb hands after about 50 rounds, how's the recoil on your smith and Wesson?

3. Clem

Clem New Member

I have a couple of .500 S&W mags. I wouldn’t be able to shoot them without reloading. The expense would be prohibitive. Since I reload, I can dial in the loads for myself and reduce recoil. It makes for a more enjoyable experience. I also tend to shoot in lightly padded bicycle gloves. They take the sting out of the nasty, high powered loads.

4. tank45

tank45 New Member

Wow nice gun ,have fun I know I would.

5. jebsca

jebsca New Member

The recoil is ok. I only fired it 11 times, so it could get bad, and expensive, at 50. Maybe next time, I'll be able to shoot it more.

6. Johnnyrum

Johnnyrum New Member

Hi,
    I also received SW 500 w/83/8 barrel for X-mas.
    It has more recoil than my Desert Eagle 50 cal,
    Get the Galco Kodiac holster w/ the bullet holder.