First try at doing a camo paint job

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by dsmith84, Feb 23, 2010.

1. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

Hi guys. Well I'm still waiting on my money from the irs so i can put together my first ar ill post pics when that happens they said about 8 more weeks. Anyway the subject of this thread my mossberg 100 atr I figured since I'm waiting and hunting season is a ways away I may as well work on my mossy. I've decided to try a digital camo paint in flat black gray and white. i hope it turns out good. I should have taken a pic before I started taping it up but heres where I'm at now and i'm taking pics as I go.

more pics to come wish me luck

Attached Files:

2. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

sorry its so big

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Keep up posted on your progress.

In the mean time, is there a name for the color of that comforter? :eek:

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Just a question, is there a reason you aren't just removing the action and barrel and shooting the paint on the stock by itself??

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

ROFLMAO!!!!:D:):eek:

6. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

i guess i could have taken the action out ive never done it and im experienced in painting i just proceeded to tape it up thought never occured to do anything different. im taking a break this paint job is gonnna take me forever. im makin progress though

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm waiting to see it...

8. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

i have finished taping for the first coat both sides heres pics

Attached Files:

9. Roth

Roth New Member

nice, keep it up bro.

good job.
    Roth

10. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Look forward to seeing the end results myself... Have fun getting all of the glue residue off the metal when you pull the tape off though:)

11. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Sorry if I missed it but what colors are you painting it.

12. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

ugh this sux i was going to paint the first coat today but its raining :( i hope the weather is better tomorrow.

13. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

black gray and white digital camo is the plan whether or not its gonna work well see

14. DougB

DougB New Member

Toluene or xylene (sub for toluene) will get the adhesive off.

15. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

would it be a bad idea to use rubbing alcohol to get any glue residue off?

16. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

oh and it looks like the weather is holding up today i'm gonna paint the first coat so tomorrow i should be able to post a pic of the first pass. did i mention i think its going to take me close to two weeks. i work 50 hrs a week so im havin to work on it little by little

17. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

i got a few coats of the white on it i can't wait til it dries but i'm gonna give it another coat or two after it dries completely i have to do the tedious part again only now its going to be more tedious than the last.

Attached Files:

18. m72law

m72law New Member

going to look awesome dsmith...but you should've used this tape....

Attached Files:

19. dsmith84

dsmith84 New Member

sorry guys for the lack of updates. i havent been workin on it much we had some bad weather and i had a cold followed by a spurt of laziness. i took the tape off to reveal the first coat. all in all first coat turned out very good have just a few edges that weren't as clean as i wanted them but some say i'm a perfectionist. and i had one spot on the other side where the paint ran under the tape just a little but its ok it'll get covered in the next coat which i'm doing tomorrow i promise. ;) so heres one more pic and some more tomorrow

Attached Files:

20. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Ummmm.. are those stars all over your shirt? ;)