First time shotgun comp

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by zhuk, Oct 25, 2009.

1. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Here's the wash-up of the weekend shotgun event...first attempt. Used basic 12 gauge with 28 grain ammo. Man I gotta say it was a definite challenge. Real enjoyable though (even if kinda frustrating!)

So unlike rifle shooting...and dammit its hard to get out of the habit, heh. I kept trying to aim instead of point-and-shoot. One guy said to me "You shoot rifle don't you...I can tell because you're aiming" lol

Leading was a also very strange concept in practice...at least a small amount of the time I kinda knew what I was meant to be doing, haha...the rest not so much. My final score an embarassing 13 for Saturday's comp, only 10 for Sunday. And yes, they are each out of 50 shots. Hmmm!

Yeah I know, only early days yet. All I have to do is relinquish one Saturday pistol shoot/month [not that easy to give up heh] and I can get some general instruction instead of not knowing the hell what I'm doing...

Anyway, here are the pics I got. Gonna take a while to get em all up with dialup so bear with me OK:

Saturday

[​IMG]
    5-stand on the benchrest range

[​IMG]
    waiting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Continued...

[​IMG]
    George, RANRRC captain

[​IMG]
    clays

[​IMG]
    club guns

Sunday

[​IMG]
    Matt, RANRRC armourer & fanatical pig-shooter

3. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Last lot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Highest score:

A grade - 45 Saturday, 42 Sunday

4. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Hang in there. You'll get it. It takes a lot of practice... I shot skeet a few weeks ago, and only hit 8 out of 24. First time shooting since last duck season.

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Keep at it. It'll come to you in time. I know that where you are at it may be difficult getting practice time, but practice is what it is going to take. Also I learned in my early teens to keep bpth eyes open when shooting clays. It was very difficult to do this at first but when I got the hang of it I got real good at it.

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Looks like a fun weekend anyway. Keep praticing, mate. You'll get it. Gotta develop new habits. :D

7. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Hear ya on that! Very hard not to shut one eye...tried keeping both open and was getting vision of two barrels (which was a bit uh, distracting :p)

Absolutely skull! Having been shooting rifle right-handed that's the side I chose to use on Saturday; in retrospect not such a great idea since now I have a bruise the size of Texas on my right shoulder due to poor mount position :D Sunday it was obviously out of action so I shot left handed (since I am lefty anyway) and yeah, hardly any as it felt natural :rolleyes:

Should have realised that beforehand huh lol