first time shooting my 29. casing split down the middle.

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Ryadew3468, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Ryadew3468

Ryadew3468 New Member

This is the casing. Should I be concerned? I have the other 99 or so rounds that I havent inspected yet. What could be the problem if any?

Attached Files:

2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

By "29" I assume you mean S&W Model 29 .44 Mag?

Most ruptured cases I've seen were due to a deeply pitted or otherwise "out of spec" chamber.

If I've guessed the right firearms, I'd suspect you'll see ^^THIS^^ on 1 of every 6 rounds fired.

Depending on the age of the revolver, "29's" have been around for a while, I'd either ship it to Smith & Wesson with the ruptured case... Or have a local gun smith check it out before firing it any more.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tack

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

That doesn't look like a .44 mag casing. A .44 mag should have a regular straight case and revolver rim. If you did fire that cartridge in a .44 Mag revolver I wouldn't do it again.

We need to know specifically what gun you are using and how it is marked as far as caliber goes. Then a look at the ammo you are using with a shot of the case headstamp would be useful, or of the factory ammo box if you have that. Without thta info it is really not posible to give good advice.

4. SSGN_Doc

Now I see this is in the Glock section. Makes more sense. I'd still like to see a pic of the ammo box or markings. Sometimes with reloads, a different cal cartridge can get mixed in.

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Funny I just did the same thing on a question about buttstocks. I did not realize it was in the AR15 section. I gave advice for a hunting rifle stock.

I recommed looking at the other rounds. If you have the same problems on the other rounds, return it to Glock for repairs or new gun. They are pretty good at customer service. Plus, **** happens when dealing with any type of mass producing products. If not, what brand of ammo are you using. I have some stories for you...especially with Remington.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I'm assuming that we are discussing factory new 10 mm ammo.
    If it's a one-off, I wouldn't sweat it. While not a good thing, the odd case splitting could simply be a bad case. If you see it regularly, try switching ammo brands. If it persists, call Glock.

7. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

casing loaded too many times

8. cotex

cotex New Member

That's correct time for new brass dude, 44 mag good one.

9. SSGN_Doc

That would be my guess. possibly a bit on the hot side as well, or amonia used when cleaning brass which can make it a bit brittle. Hope they aren't lead bullets. Glocks can overpressure with lead or plated bullets.

10. Ryadew3468

Ryadew3468 New Member

Glock 29. Its a 10mm. This a brand new gun first time fired since it left the factory. It was PPU jhp 180 gr. Im going to inspect the other brass now. As far as I know this was the only one and it also kept firing afterwards.

Attached Files:

11. Ryadew3468

Ryadew3468 New Member

Brand new ammo too not reloads.. Also it was the only one from the about 100 brass I swept up.

12. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Are you certain its one of yours?

13. Ryadew3468

Ryadew3468 New Member

Not 100%. The guy I was shooting with said it hit him in the foot while I wss shooting and he just happen to notice it

14. Ryadew3468

Ryadew3468 New Member

Is the problem worth me calling glock or should I wait to see?

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would not sweat it. PPU has been known to make a few errors in the manufacture of ammo. I'm going with improperly anealed

16. Ryadew3468

Ryadew3468 New Member

Thanks man

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Ahhh It's a GLOCK 29... :eek:

Isn't that sorta normal for this manufacturer? :p

Tack

18. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

When I shoot my 38 or 357, it's not that unusual to find a split case. Seems to happens mostly on winchester white box target rounds.