First time shootin'

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by fapprez, Jul 20, 2011.

1. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Nothing important, just thought I'd share

So the nephews were over two weeks ago and had spied the shotgun in my closet while getting my guitars. They ask me if I knew it was there (bless them) and when I said yes, they asked if I would let them see it. I took it out and, after checking to make it was clear, showed them how it worked and let them each give it a go at holding it and cocking it and what not. It turns out they had never held a gun or been around a gun before and they were facinated. I talked it over with my Brother in law and on his approval I ask the boys if they wanted to go to the range with me that coming weekend. I had to damn near peel 'em off the ceiling they were so excited.

Seeing as they have never shot anything outside of a red rider, I opted for the Marlin mod60 over the pump 12. They stuggled to stay on paper but they listened and took instruction well. I showed them how to safely handle a firearm here at the house and only had to remind the youngest one time about handing me an unsafe gun.

They had a blast and couldnt wait to hang their targets on the bedroom walls. I look forward to taking them out again.

Feel free to share your stories or ideas.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's excellent! Ya' dun good. :)

3. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I love this kind of story. Thanks for sharing. What kind of guitar you using to hide your shotty?

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Young minds will benefit greatly by such experiences. Firearms safety and marksmanship should be a mandatory class in school, Elementary or Middle school. The anti's would have a fit, but the world would be a safer place because of it. The Brady Bunch would have a huge uphill battle in future years as their scare tactics would not work on EDUCATED minds.

5. fapprez

fapprez New Member

80's Ibannez Gio, 70's Memphis (strat copy) and a burswood acoustic.

Yes it should. Maybe I an get a class like this going at the homeschool co-op we send our daughter to???????

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

In a society's endeavor to deal with firearms, it is much healthier to impart respect and knowledge, than to inculcate fear. - cane

7. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Here in St.Louis this past week we had a couple of news stories about kids finding guns in their house and playing with them...You know what happened next.....We need more people to teach them about gun safety,and take them out and teach them....Gun locks on guns with kids in the house...I have no kids in my house,but if I did I would have gun-locks ...You can't get your kid back...and you'd have to live with that the rest of your life..........

8. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Just seen on ST.LOUIS news fox-2...That the Cub-Scout's are teaching their Scouts about guns...They showed them shooting BB-Guns at a range....That can only be a good-thing.............

9. fapprez

fapprez New Member

I heard the 911 tape about a 13 year old who shot his friend in the head at point blank when he pulled the trigger to "See if it was loaded." Scary stuff. Either we teach our kids or let them learn from friends....I know what one I'm pickin'.