First Time Out With My Mosin 91/30

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by MrMosin, Aug 11, 2011.

1. MrMosin

MrMosin New Member

Went to the range yesterday to get a feel for the gun, i think my shoulder STILL feels it. :D This gun is definaately more accurate than i am right at the moment, can't wait to get some more practice sessions in. Only thing i didn't like was that at 50 yards i had to aim about 3-4 inches below the bottom of the target to make contact, even with that i was still getting pretty good groupings. Never even hit the taget at 100 yards, course i was using a 50 yard target but i do need more time with this gun. Anyhow here are the pics.

First target:
    [​IMG]

Second, best one of the day:
    [​IMG]

Third, by that time my shoulder was gettin pretty tired:
    [​IMG]

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great shooting for a first time outing!

Ya done good MM.

3. MrMosin

MrMosin New Member

Forgot to add i was shooting MFS 174 grain FMJ rounds if that makes any difference.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

got to love the mosin! look like you had fun good shooting!

5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Good shootin'! Gotta love the old war horse ;), and she sends rounds down range with authority.

6. MrMosin

MrMosin New Member

Couldn't agree more, i had one hell of a time shooting this gun, easily the loudest gun at the range that day, and when the bullets impacted downrage you could tell, instead of sending up little puffs off the dirt pile it sent up clouds! Also had a lot of people come and talk to me about the gun, very fun day.

7. glenn923

glenn923 New Member

Nice shooting with the old Moisin. I've heard from others that these are accurate rifles. This confirms it.

8. AWDeanSr

AWDeanSr New Member

I have heard they were originally sighted in at 6-8 inches high at 100 meters. Any one know if this is true? I bought one a few months back and have not taken it to the range yet.

9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I know all about them clouds ;). I think it says something for its round to be in service for 120 years, and her bark is almost as bad as her bite :eek:.

10. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I'm not 100% sure if that is true or not, but I do know that mine at 100 yards shoots a little high.

11. SoupNazi

SoupNazi New Member

That shoulder pain can be avoided (mostly) if you tuck it in nice and tight against your shoulder. You could also place a folded up towel against your shoulder.

Mine is plenty accurate. I can hit the paper at 100 yards. Not as well as with my AR, but I think that is a difference in my ability to use the open vs. ghost ring sights properly.

12. MrMosin

MrMosin New Member

Oh believe me i did have it tight, but im a skinny guy (6'1" 140 lbs) so i dont have much in the way of natural padding, i actually would up taking off the flanel i was wearing and putting that between the gun and my shoulder after about 50 rounds, haha.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

with the rear sight set at 3 the poi should be 17cm or 6.7 inches high at 100m that is how the soviets zeroed the firearm. i got that from my translated soviet mosin 91/30 manual.

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

6-8 at 100 yds is what the rifle is zeroed to. Rumor has it that Soviet conscripts were instructed to aim at the belt buckle.

Regardless, any center mass hit with that round will put a man down for keeps.