First time Handgun owner/Walther P22

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by SeraphimHD, Oct 20, 2009.

1. SeraphimHD

SeraphimHD New Member

Hey guys, brand new to the forum. Looks to be a great place to get a lot of great advice.

I'm know you guys have talked about the Walther P22 here before, but I was just looking for a single thread here to deal with it all alone.

My dad and I just bought the Military Issue (Black slide, green stock) P22, our first handgun. I wanted to get some wisdom from you guys about owning a pistol, as well as the P22 itself. We aren't planning on getting the Florida CWP anytime soon, so the gun will be used for plinking and home defense. We're really safe people, and want to understand everything about the gun in order to maintain that characteristic.

So what do we need to know about owning a hand gun?

I've heard some say that their P22 will shoot any brand of .22, others said that it was really picky as to the rounds you put in it. Whats a good cheap brand that is excellent quality?

Are there any easy mods to do to it? Anything that we should do?

And I can't seem to find any extra magazines for it under $30. Is there a great place to go to find them online?

I do appreciate all your guys' help. I really want to get into this hobby and lifestyle, so I want to know about every aspect and that includes firstly knowing your gun. So I thank you for any help you can offer. I hope to get a Glock 19 sometime in the future. We were about to get one (on sale for $480!) but decided against getting a 9mm for our first gun that would mainly be used for target shooting.

And if anyone is in Jacksonville, FL, I recommend Shooters on University Blvd. They treated us right and were very informative.

2. SeraphimHD

SeraphimHD New Member

Also, when did the P22 come out? I know its not too old but maybe early 2000s?

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

4. Badboyr6

Badboyr6 New Member

Post some pics, i was looking at the p22 with the laser, but i decide to just get the g19rtf2...congrats

5. SeraphimHD

SeraphimHD New Member

I'll post some when we pick it up tomorrow. It really seems to be a quality gun.

Igeteven, I appreciate the link!

If anyone has some good advice for keeping and maintaining a firearm like this I'm all ears!

6. SeraphimHD

SeraphimHD New Member

Where's the best place to buy extra magazines for it?

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You're not going to find really cheap mags for these. Check out all the standard places like Midway, etc...

8. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

i have a friend that has that gun. we put a couple dozen mags through it without any jams or malfunctions whatsoever the one day i was around when it was being fired. we only had one brand of ammo (factory remington .22 lr), so i'm not sure if it was picky or not, but i'm told as long as they are well maintained they shoot pretty much any brand without problem.

as far as upgrades and extra mags and such, just shop around in your area and thee are some good sites online too, also, you could check out the gun shows that happen in your area, sometimes you can find some good deals there too.

but, for a first hand gun, nice purchase, the walther p22 is far better than the semi auto .22 i own. i'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  9. SeraphimHD

SeraphimHD New Member

Glad to hear it! Waiting those 3 days to pick up a pistol in Florida is forever!

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Get your CCW and walk in with cash and out with the pistol! [​IMG]

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

SeraphimHD,

Just curious, but why is it that you and your dad bought the handgun. Is it that you split the little cost or is it that you are not old enough to purchase one yourself. I'm not judging, I'm just asking.

There is a 3 day wait in Florida? :eek:

12. SeraphimHD

SeraphimHD New Member

I'm 22. We honestly walked into the store just to look, my dad caught the itch and wanted to buy one then and there.

I hope to get my concealed weapons permit sometime soon, but I won't be carrying a P22. I'd be carrying a Kahr PM9.

And yes, they initiated the 3 day law a while back. That way people can't get mad and run down to the gun store and buy a pistol and shoot someone while they are still mad. They can buy a rifle/shotgun and walk out same day though. Doesn't make sense, but whatever. They do the full background check and all, and the gun store we buy it at doesn't give any info to uncle sam. They keep it all in house.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

CDNN has the mags for a couple of bucks less. They had a sale a few months ago for $19.99.

I have a P22 and love it. My son has one, and two friends as well. All are 100% reliable.

For informal target/plinking I use the cheap WallyWorld Federal stuff. It doesn't always go "bang", but that is not the P22's fault. It does the same in my Buckmark, High Standards, TPH and several revolvers. Most rounds end up firing when run through a second time.

CCI velocitors and Mini Mags always go "bang".

14. Badboyr6

Badboyr6 New Member

I actually had to wait 5 days here in Florida! I took the cwp course and im waiting for it back, so i had to wait the 5 days.

15. zhuk

zhuk New Member

If only I had to wait days....rather than a year on probation lol

(actually will be about 6 weeks from when I am finally given the OK for a permit to accquire after that year expires...)

[Have tossed around the thought that a P22 might be nice for plinking practice, after I buy a 9mm for competition. However with the greatly restricted range time I'm able to excercise...well that might be sheer pointlessness :p]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  16. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

Welcome to the forum from North Central Texas - I think you'll like it here.

17. gmac762

gmac762 New Member

Congrats on your P22. Had one for about 3 yrs now & love it. Mine seems to shoot just about everything well. Have well over 2000 rds through it without a single FTF or FTE. I mostly feed it Federal or Winchester in the 550 pack from Wal Mart. Take it apart every 500 or so rds because of wax buildup. After cleaning it's ready to go.
    It will shoot better than I can hold it. Looks a little space age, but you get used to it. Good Shooting!!
    Mac