First time gun buy

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by split29, Jan 8, 2012.

1. split29

split29 New Member

Hey guys I was wondering if you guys could give me advise. I'm new to guns only thing I know is that they are dangerous. Any way I'm looking for a shotgun to start with Clays and stuff and on to hunting after a while. I'm thinking Remington 870? What do you think?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

A remington 870 would make a fine first shotgun, it's an old standby. It will serve every purpose you can throw at it.

3. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

That would be a good choice.
    Welcome aboard.

4. TekST165

TekST165 New Member

First off, i would like to say that the guns are not dangerous...the people wielding them(wether it is improperly, unsafely, with bad intent, or any combination thereof) are what is dangerous. With proper training and good gun safety practices you have very little to worry about.

Secondly, welcome to a new addiction :)

Thirdly, the Remington 870 is an outstanding shotgun. The standard by wich all pump action shotguns are measured. They have an outstanding service record in police units throughout the country. I personally chose a Mossberg because it is what im used to (i.e.trained with) and because i feel the safety is a little more intuitive....but that is personal preference.

good luck :)

5. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

When buying a gun, buy something thats comfortable To hold. With the mossberg 500 I noticed it's lighter than an 870 and the safety is good for shooting left our right hand. As the 870 again very good gun and will doo about anything you would ever need it to. Aftermarket accessories are plentiful for both guns. I own an 870 and my step dad shoots a 500 both really nice and you will be pleased with either gun.

6. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

well said.

And yes the 870 is a great shotgun. huge aftermarket parts list and very reliable.

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Tek hit it on the head. I would recommend if you go with an 870 get an Express Magnum, That way you will be able to five 3 inch shells if you have the desire too. So you get a lot of versatility that way. I have a Remington Sportsman 58 that dates back to the fifties more or less, and it performs like a brand new shotgun everytime. The only complaint I have with it is the ammunition is kinda hard to find since it's a 16 gauge and it does not like Federal for some reason.

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Split,

I fully understand your dangerous comment being not at all familiar with weapons. But so is automobiles, knives and scissors!!:D
    As TekST stated, with proper safety and handling techniques guns are not dangerous it is the people handling the guns. If we get careless or laxidasical when handling them terrible things can happen. But also can happen with the above items I mentioned! Get some good training from a respectable source and you will accomplish being safe with no problem!
    The 870 is a fine choice for a first shotgun. They are very durable and have stood the test of time in shotgun history. I have seen 20 year old 870s that have been shot a considerable amount and are still as good as they were when they were new. And the accessories like different interchangeable barrels regarding length and chokes are readily available at a dealer or local gun show should you wish to have a shotgun combination so to speak. For example you could but the shotgun with a 30" Full Choke Barrel for Ducks & then buy a 20" Deer Barrel with Rifle Sights on it and change it out in less than one minute! Very versatile. The Mossbergs are not bad guns either.

9. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

the remington super mag shoots 3 1/2 not just 3 and that is only if you use the super mag barrel. perfect for bird hunting. i do not see a need for 3 1/2 unless you are going snow goose. and here is every model of the 870 listed.

Pump Action Shotguns - Model 870 Shotgun - Remington Shotguns

if you want a versatile gun, i would suggest a gun with both smooth bore barrel and a rifled barrel. buying with the gun will save you money. but slug is good for large game. now i have not seen a riffled barrel rated for 3 1/2" shells. but like i said pick them both up see which one you like more with the options that you want.

10. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I personally would suggest a Mossberg 500. Although, you won't go wrong with an 870

11. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I agree with Mossberg. These shotguns have interchangable barrels, so you can switch between long smoothbore for birds, short smoothbore for defense, and rifled for slugs.

12. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I agree. I have a smooth bore and a rifled barrel and I couldn't be happier. I got the gun, a 28 inch smoothbore barrel, a 24 inch rifled barrel, a half decent scope, and a sling for $289. All brand new.

13. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

Remington also has interchangeable barrels too. Verry easy to interchange too. I think they are both amazing and equal guns. The remington would cost more than the mossberg, but both very iconic guns. and like I said either way you are going to buy a reliable gun. it all comes down to what you want to do with it. from what I have seen the 870 is a better duck/goose gun. I never used mine for goose but I used a different super mag for goose and I was able to get the higher birds as it seemed the 500 struggled. But who knows about my stepdads shot. =p

But the best thing is pick up the two and see which one you like best. Enjoy the purchase get familiar with the gun, and see you at the range. =)