First time firing

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by 1911jruiz, Dec 23, 2011.

1. 1911jruiz

1911jruiz New Member

What to do on or before firing my new kimber?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Take plenty of pics for us.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Haaaaaa!!! :D

Not too familiar with the Kimbers, run a dry patch through it? The manual should say what to do...

4. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Now to be serious... when i first bought my Kimber, I stripped it and gave a good scrubbing. Oiled it and then of course... loaded it. :D it runs fine with no issues so far after 1050 rounds through it.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Write down the number to customer service and keep it handy.

6. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Booo! Low blow my friend. Lol

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Do a cleaning according to the owner's manual.
    Lubricate according to owner's manual.

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

No offense brother, just some bad humor. :)

9. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

None taken.. I admit I laughed pretty good at that.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

With any new gun I clean the bore then run a dry patch down it. Otherwise I'm not too picky, just give it a good look over during that first field stripping.

11. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

First field strip and clean as preeviously mentioned. Do not over oil as most place way too much oil on their firearms.

Then with the mag out and after checking to insure no round in the chamber: cock the hammer and engage the thumb safety on. Press the trigger and then push the back of the hammer forward. Neither action should drop the hammer.

Then again with an unloaded piece, cock the hammer but do not engage the thumb safety. Press the trigger without squeezing the grip safety. The hammer should not drop.

Then again with an unloaded piece, lock the slide back with the slide stop. Drop the slide stop and let the slide slam forward. The hammer should not drop.

Then place an empty mag in the piece and rack the slide back. It should engage the slide stop and lock the slide in the rear position. If it does not you can adjust the lip of the follower in the mag outward some to ensure positive engagement of the stop.

Then if all is good take it to the range and have fun.

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you should experience failures in the first 500 rounds, no big deal. That's break-in.

Should you experience failures after 500 rounds, look for a "buy-back" program in your area. :)

13. hmh

hmh New Member

I have an older cdp2 (it has numbers on the bottom of the slide that are hand engraved) have shot around 10,000 of all brands mostly cheap but also critical defense hydro shocks and hand loaded 230 lead never had one malfunction. I don't know about customer service because I have never had to deal with them. It is a great gun and you will love yours. There is a reason you rarely find them used.