First time Engraving

Discussion in 'Engraving & Refinishing' started by nick223, Apr 14, 2012.

1. nick223

nick223 New Member

Hey guys I wanna engrave a few of my guns. Of course I've never done this I hear a dremel tool will work. So I was wondering if you could help me along best tools,bits,stencils of any and e.t.c. Thanks every one

2. towboater

towboater Active Member

I dont know a thing about engraving. But I'd find something to practice on. Scrap steel perhaps. Or a junk (cheap) single shot, shotgun, like a New England Firearms. Ya could pick one of em up pretty cheap at a pawn shop.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012

3. nick223

nick223 New Member

Yeah I definetly planed on practicing a bit before I do the real deal! Thanks man I might look into that cheap shot gun

4. towboater

towboater Active Member

I got this rusty ole single shot i picked up the other day for $40. Mostly just surface rust.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First, step away from the Dremel, and no one gets hurt.

The only use I have for a Dremel with a gun is to use a felt polishing bob and some rouge to polish a feed ramp.

There IS a power tool for engravers- called the Gravermeister- but it works quite differently from a Dremel.

I have to ask you a question- can you draw? Engraving is basically drawing- and carving- into metal. I have had the opportunity to observe some very good engravers- including the folks that worked for Mr. Ken Hurst (who has been a guest here). Basically, they are artists.

Would suggest that you get some gravers and some metal plates (copper, mild steel) find a basic design (floral and scroll) transfer the pattern to the metal with ink, and start carving. Do some reading first, and give it a try.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Brownells has the stuff you need. Except for the talent and the patience, that is.

7. nick223

nick223 New Member

Thanks guys! Yeah I'm a fairly decent drawer. That's also why I was wondering if there was a way to trace lol. where could I find this gravemaster local hardware store?

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Like I said "Brownells has the stuff you need."

9. nick223

nick223 New Member

Right on! Anywhere that's local that might have it?

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

probably not. most tools like those for working on firearms and to do engraving are going to be specialty type tools that most places are not going to carry just because of limited demand and cost. specialty tools are usually expensive and not many have need for them. so Brownell's would probably be your best source for them.

11. joseph engraver

joseph engraver New Member

Check out www.engraving forum, every thing you want to know about engraving can be found at this web site.Six months of determined and steady effort on practice plates will get you started,add 4or 5 more years and you will be doing work like this.Have a great day

Attached Files: