First time coyote hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by gadrooning, Mar 1, 2010.

1. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Going out for the first time to go coyote hunting. I've hunted all my life but, I typically don't predator hunt. The coyote population has gotten out of hand here in Upper MI. There is a bounty on them now. Going to try my luck. If anyone wants to give me some pointers on this kind of hunting. I sure would appreciate it. I will be using my 17hmr since the terrain around here does not allow for a shot more than maybe 80 to 100 yds. Otherwise I would take my 7mm08. I will be using a .45 1911 with cor bon dpx ammo as backup. Comments, critisizms welcome.

2. Mount_Sannine

Mount_Sannine New Member

Wish you luck! Bring back pictures :)

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Shoot straight and be safe.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The .17HMR will kill them with perfect shot placement but is a little too small for my tastes. We've had several to run off, only to expire on a different part of the farm or the next farm over when hit solidly with the .17HMR. Followup concluded good shot placement when we found them. Why not use your 7mm08 anyway? Ideally, a .22 centerfire is as close to perfect as you can get. I use my scoped AR for all my coyote hunting now.

Use calls, decoy, and bait to attract them in. Remember once you shoot 1 out of a pack, the rest will be educated to that particular call. That's the reason I have/use several calls-just like turkey hunting. The best bait IMO is a dead cow or calf. If you can use a motion decoy it'll really pull them in close. Set up so that the coyote has to come in from upwind. Otherwise they'll circle downwind and catch your scent.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I agree with The Bear. You need to take enough gun to put the thing down hard and not have it take off bleeding and make it even more dangerous.

Hunting Coyotes is about as close to hunting the ultimate prey as you can get. They are very crafty, they are very wary and what works today ( if you are lucky ) probably won't work again. They are smart predators and they are almost arrogant in their taunting of you about it.

If a coyote paw could flip you off, I am pretty sure I would have seen it happen to me by now. :eek:

My second time out, I was shooting with my .308, and there was a coyote pack that was out at about 250 or 275 yards. We had been trying to call them in, but only one would show itself.

Arrogant little bastard seemed to know where we were and was on this slight rise, just pacing back and forth, then would drop down after about 3 or 4 paces, just as I was developing a rthym of where he was going to be.

This went on for about 25 or 30 minutes and it was frustrating as all hell. See him pop up, head on, not a great shot, then turn sideways and pace a bit, then back down the other side of the rise. Talk about scope fatigue.

I had my choice of no shot, taking a moving shot, or trying to get closer. Thinking I was one with the Universe, I tried to creep closer while my buddy kept position and was watching with his binocs.

I made it about 12 yards before the coyote just up and left. I am pretty sure he farted in my general direction when he left too. :mad:

I love the hunt when going after coyotes. They are definitely a tough shot. Don't get discouraged if you don't get one, and don't get to cocky if you do. Your fortune will change either way... LOL

GOOD LUCK!!

JD

6. amoroque

amoroque New Member

One thing to remember is that coyotes have a great sense of smell. So use some scent control spray.
    I also like to make sure I'm with a buddy that is facing the other direction, so that if they come in from behind you can get a shot, and also so that you dont get startled to death....LOL
    If you get one, make sure to bring back some pics.

How much is the bounty out there?

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Good advice with those responses.

The coyotes around here are getting thick as well. Last night, one was close enough that my wife woke me after she heard it. It was just carrying on and on. I asked her if she could see it anywhere. She said no. I went back to sleep.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Night Vision is a many wonderous thing My Friend. Ask Jack, I bet he has a really good set he can loan you for a month. :)

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

You have no idea how close that hits to home. Mrs. Skullcrusher was going through the new Cabela's Shooter catalog and was asking about the night vision scopes yesterday. I said we need to save for the Gen IV stuff. :D

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

LOL - She sounds like a keeper, but get her out of the Cabela's catalog for that high tech stuff. Gen IV would be awesome. But mucho $$$ and I have heard they really eat the batteries.

But, having one would be a very nice addition. I am looking at adding a Night Vision Attachment for my Boltgun Scopes. Something of a snap on, snap off, you be dead all night long toy. :D

11. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Yea, those Gen IV toys are just a dream. I would not buy from Cabela's for any of that. They are way too proud of all of their stuff. The way I figure it, the more and more those coyotes wake her up, the easier it will be to work that into some fun stuff that would also take care of the night shift zombies. :D

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Nice! ;)

JD

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

A 12ga w/ #4 lead is great medicine. The .17HMR is not a good round. For a bounty your 7mm08 is better. What calls are you using? I have some that you can use on CD.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

I would really like to read a post of a confirmed coyote kill with the ipod/iphone "Kitty!" app providing the "call". :D

15. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Thanks for the advise all. Appreciate it. We didn't get a coyote but it still beats a good day at work. We sat in three fields yesterday. Saw a shadow, dog sized, in the bushes, but really couldn't make out what it was, from the first field. All we had was an injured rabbit call and I doubt I used that properly. No luck on the second, and sat the rest of the evening in a friends farm field. Shots up to 500 yrds there. I did feel a bit under calibered then. I will take the advise of using the 7mm08. Thanks:). I knew it was a no go when the wind started clocking on the field, but we stayed there anyways. We did manage to draw in a red tail hawk and a bald eagle though, that was pretty neat. I wish it was deer season though because we counted about 30 deer yesterday. Saw one that could have easily passed 230. That is a decent size deer around here.

Not the change the subject here, but I did want to share a story that still has me wipping my shorts. Well I have known my friend for a long time that I went hunting with. We shoot together all the time and I consider him responsible with his firearms. With that said. I was in his house as he was getting ready for the days hunt. He had a Ruger 45 auto sitting on his dining table. I noticed it was cocked so I asked him if I could look at it. He replied sure. I checked it if it was loaded and it was. I noticed the swing lever on the back of the slide but didn't know if it was just the safety or a decocker. So I asked, handing him back the gun, rather than messing with a firearm that I am unfamiliar with. I carefully handed the gun back to him reminding him it was still loaded. He responded no problem the safety is on. He takes the gun and to demonstrate the safety and POW!!!! ...Excuse me wipping my shorts..... the gun discharges. Fortunitly it was only his kitchen floor that suffered any casualty. Just a good reminder to check your safety...ALWAYS.

16. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I think in that type of situation you need to do mare than just check the safety, I think he needed to check his $hit at the door. That could of ended up real tragic like.

A buddy and I were sitting on a couch a crossed the room from another buddie. He was showing us how he kept the hammer on his .357 revolver on an empty chamber when, kapow, he shoots a hole through the couch we were sitting on. Talk about checking your shorts. Should of kicked his ass but we just got up and left never to returned to his house again. I still ride his ass about it ever time I see him and he still gets pissed at me, o'well.

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Friends are friends, I understand that, but the fact that one of you could have been a DEAD friend.....if it were me, I would rethink that relationship. :mad:

18. Mount_Sannine

Mount_Sannine New Member

Demonstrate the safety? :eek:
    I never keep a loaded gun indoors, I check and double check that they are empty before puting them in their holsters after a hunting trip and heading back home.
    Thank God no one was hurt.