First time carrying questions

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by wittmeba, Aug 15, 2013.

1. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

When you first started carrying how did you feel? Were you a bit uncomfortable?

Have you ever dropped or exposed your weapon at a bad time while carrying?

Just curious.

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

LOT of threads/replys about both questions in this very section ---
    Take some times to read & you'll get a lot of answers-----------------

3. marc29th

marc29th New Member

At first most people think everyone can tell they're carrying but they cannot. Also don't play around with your handgun and it won't fall out and only a small chance of it being exposed if you are reaching high up over your head.

4. rickster

rickster New Member

It wasn't really my first time carrying, as a matter of fact, it happened about a year ago. I was carrying a little 380 in a cheap fabric clip on middle of the back holster while buying some stuff at Walmart before heading out to the beach. The clip broke and the gun with holster slipped down my shorts, hit my foot and I kicked it a across the isle just before the registers. Lol. Everyone looked as I ran and picked it up. Then everyone went about their business. Only in Miami.

5. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL. If that had happened up here, you probably would have had to wait for LE to show up to calm everybody down. Then again, it would depend on the time of year. Around hunting season, you see a lot more people carrying.

It took me about a month to get used to carrying, and to get my rig settled where I like it. I wear shirts and jackets that are a little long for my body, as well as loose fitting, to insure that my 1911 stays covered.

Have had only one fall out\off. I was working at my mother's shop about 12 years ago. I discovered that my belt was twisted and went into the office to fix the problem, and forgot that I was wearing jeans one size larger than my waist due to using an IWB holster. I loosened and undid my belt, and oops! The weight of the pistol pulled my pants down to about my knees, and my pistol, holster and all, slid across the floor and under her desk. Mom was in the office doing paperwork, and had to retrieve my 1911 from under her desk. Her only response: "Next time, take it out and put it on the desk first please." while trying not to laugh.

We still were getting a chuckle out of this incident 2 years later when she got sick. I would go to pick her up at the hospital, and she would always ask If my gun was secure and my belt was tight. Sick as she was, we both still were getting a laugh out of it. It's been 10 years, and I still miss her.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

When I first started carrying, I just knew everyone could see it. I was also carrying a Smith 65-3 though. I knew everyone could see it....because it was freaking huge and printed like a damn press.

Funnily enough, the only one who ever noticed and said anything was a cop while in a Wendy's. I momentarily exposed it while reaching for my wallet. He didn't even ask to see my carry permit. Instead, he asked me about the custom work I'd done to it, and eventually I did an action job and hammer bob on his model 36.

These days I open carry when not at work (I don't carry at work. Mayor made us sign an agreement. I did, and also told him I would fight to see him out of office). Even while open carrying my full size 1911, no one notices. I've actually had a lady say, "I just thought that was a cell phone!" I pointed out there was no damn way I'd be putting it to my head.

Just shows you how oblivious people people are.

7. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Why of course its a cell phone - made by Glock!

[​IMG]

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Honestly, as tough as those guns are, I'd buy a damn GLOCK cell phone in a heartbeat. As long as it has better ergonomics.

9. JW357

JW357 New Member

Haven't had any exposures but when I started carrying, when I lived in NC, I was sure I was printing 100% of the time and everyone could see it. No one ever said a word.

10. Cheever

Cheever New Member

I started carrying when I was 19 in SD (you could there during that time frame) and carried till I was 22, then quit for a few years and carried again at 26. I have never had anyone say they see anything. I am 5'4" and have carried a full size 1911 at times. People are oblivious. At one time I had a LEO pat me down and I literally had to take his hand and put it on the pistol for him to figure out where it was. Only dropped it twice in all that time (39 now). Once I had an inappropriate rig and dropped it on a public stairwell. I was so obsessed with ‘did I damage it’ that it took me a moment to notice people staring at me. I reholstered and walked away…quickly. Second , I was on a roller coaster with a rig with no retention strap on it. Came out of my waist and I caught it. Reholstered it quickly and the only one that noticed was my friend who was sitting next to me.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

Good Lord I don't wanna think about a firearm falling off a roller coaster...

12. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I don't want to think about it falling out at the top of a loop and someone catching it with their head at the bottom

13. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I have only been carrying for 9 months or so now. I carry a variety of guns from full size 1911 to pocket sized 9's. At first I was certain everyone could tell I had a gun and felt like everyone was looking at it. WRONG.

Look around the next time you are at a big store like WalMart. So many people we run across in everyday life barely even notice we are there, if they do at all. Many walk around like zombies.

I can not think of ever showing my gun to anyone else but recently I stopped a guy coming out of the bathroom of a store and told him to "check himself". His shirt was caught between his gun and him. He quickly fixed it, thanked me, and went on his way. That was that. So moral of the story, "after you're done, check your gun".

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Ive only had one time where I accidently dropped my gun off my belt. I used to use a cheap belt clip holster, my wife and I were getting ready to go out to eat with my parents but we had to get the dog in the house first. I saw him out by the cornfield at the edge of my property. He wasnt coming to me when I was yelling for him, in fact he was walking the opposite way. I started running after him, got about 15 feet, heard a click noise and felt something heavy hit my right ankle. Looked down just in time to see my 1911 land in a sloppy mud puddle. I stopped using those cheap holsters after that.

When I first started carrying I also thought everyone could see my piece, of course, I carried a hi-point .40 so everyone could see my piece. Dont laugh, I only carried it a couple months till I got the cash to get my 1911.

I wear loose fitting shirts so concealing my fullsize isnt an issue. Ive always wore loose fitting shirts, even before I started carrying because I will sweat profusely in a tight shirt. Ive got to be able to breath in a shirt. Im 6' tall and 175 lbs, I wear a large shirt. If I wear a medium it feels like Im being strangled.

Whatever you choose to carry, it'll take time to get used to it and comfortable with it. Hell I sometimes forget Ive even got mine on.

I sometimes open carry and people dont even act like they see it then. This is mostly due to the fact that I live in a town of about 4,000 surrounded by farm land. Everybody has a gun out here.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  15. 304inc

304inc New Member

Was @ a gas station earlier this week and a gentleman using the stall in the bathroom dropped his pants to handle business and you hear this god awful clanging and banging,,, I look over to see his snubnosed revolver landed just outside the stall and then his arm reaching from under the partition, cussing the whole time. Had to laugh, would have joked him a lil but we were in the bathroom,, there's rules against such things.

16. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

If you dropped your gun while conceal carrying then you need to put it back in the gun safe where it belongs . If you exposed it by accident. Same advice applys.

17. 1911love

1911love New Member

Beware of chairs that have cross slats. Had a close call at Olive Garden with my then GF. After eating lunch I went to get up and the bottom cross slat grabbed my G19's handle, she was riding in a Milt Sparks IWB at 4:30. If I wasn't paying as much attention as I was, it would've snatched it right out of my pants. Lucky for me all I had to do sit back down and make some funny looking adjustments. My GF looked at me like I was having a seizure or something.

18. tenwheeler

tenwheeler New Member

LOL! Been there, done that.

19. Cheever

Cheever New Member

I couldn't disagree more. I think you should reconsider your carry gear, but I don't think you should shelve the firearm entirely. Hopefully you learn from your experience and you move on with life.

20. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Serious moment. The most important thing to remember. What is that word.