First time buying seeds online.

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by james_black, Jun 26, 2010.

1. james_black

james_black New Member

Wife and I will like to buy the following items...

.lavender
    .chamomile
    .peppermint
    .lemon balm

Which place will you recommend?:)
    thanks in advance

2. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Why are you buying those particular seeds? Are you looking for non hybrid seeds?

3. bkt

bkt New Member

4. james_black

james_black New Member

I dont know what non hybrid means. My wife wants to grow medicinal plants and also plants which she can make oil from. Mostly for soaps and house frangance too. :)

5. bkt

bkt New Member

Actually, hybrid seeds can be fine. It's the genetically modified stuff you want to stay away from. They germinate fine, produce what you want, but the seeds that come off of those plants won't germinate. (It depends on the product, but genetically modified corn is an often-cited example of a Really Bad Idea.)

What you want is a plant that will produce more seeds from which you can get more plants.

Your wife might also be interested in Western Botanicals.

6. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

+1. Good luck and let us know what you get and where you got them.

7. james_black

james_black New Member

We bougth the chamomile, lemon balm and lavender from this place Organica Seed. We went to our local Nursery and bought the peppermint and rosemary. I didnt see in the description if they were hybrid or non.

Thanks for the info on that. We have some spinach that is "seeding" and we look on the envelope and it said hybrid. So I guess we are not saving those seeds for next year.:rolleyes:

8. bkt

bkt New Member

No, hybrid can be fine. It's GM -- genetically modified -- stuff you want to stay away from. Specifically, strains that are designed to produce food once but which produce no viable seeds.