First Time Buyers

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by freedomgirl, Jun 21, 2013.

1. freedomgirl

freedomgirl New Member

I am a first time firearm buyer. A girl, need suggestions on what would be a good fit.

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome to the forum. There are hundreds of guns and you will likely get votes for most of them. Visit a store and handle a bunch. Choose one that is comfortable and you feel able to operate.

4. JosephMD

JosephMD New Member

The internet can't really answer your question as stated. For what purpose do you intend to use your first firearm? Do you plan on future firearms purchases? Answers to those questions will start to guide you in the right direction. Long gun, hand gun, shot gun, etc.

Next, you will at least have to hold some firearms to see how they fit, sort of like trying on clothes, but your life depends on it. If you get a chance to shoot firearms that fit your intended use, do so.

My wife recently purchased a handgun for home defense, before going to the store she said that she wanted something with a safety and that held a lot of bullets. She held several firearms in the store, many that I had suggested, but ended up going with one that I didn't even suggest. It worked out though, because I liked it so much I went out and bought the same model in .45 (hers is 9mm).

5. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Welcome from Wisconsin. You should find a well stocked gun store and get a feel for how a gun will feel in your hand. Chances are one that feels natural when you grip it, will be a good one for you. It will all depend on the size of your hand, how big you are, your tolerance for pain (recoil) and noise. Shoot as many different kinds of guns you can. Don't forget to try out a good revolver. Good luck.

6. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Welcome

Welcome! Everyone's hands are different! My wife has only 1 Auto,..It's a .22 Target(Browning) if i don't keep it clean and lubed for her her carpal Tunnel/Arthritis hands can't work the slide! forget about Shooting a Major caliber Auto! She sticks with Revolvers (Ruger LCR .38+p, Sp101 .357, and my Late Dad's Security Six). Last range trip we made a new friend at the range and we shot each others Guns..he has the SIG 238..which my Wife & I Both Put 5 rds. in the X at 10 Yds... and my Pal who is a recent returnee from Afganistan put a 1" hole in it at 10 Yds...

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Being female, I suggest you get a good 22LR revolver. NOT a cheap taurus that kills your thumb just trying to use it in single action. But a Ruger, or Smith and Wesson. I prefer Smiths myself. One with a 4 or 6 inch barrel, and practice practice practice. Once you are confident and can hit targets with ease, graduate yourself and get a 9mm or bigger. I have and use all kinds of calibers, and will ocassionally use a 5 shot 38 special for concealed carry.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Welcome! When you get a minute, stop by the intro thread and say hello.

I moved your thread over to the clubhouse, where you may get more answers (you were in section for News Media Stories)

As far as what would be a good fit? Usually about a size 8. Unless they are cut small.
    (Just joking)

You have been given a lot of the same answer- namely- "It depends". And much of the advice will be based on what you want to do- self defense, home defense, plinking, 500 yard target shooting, skeet or deer hunting.

Would visit a range that (a) offers basic firearms training, and (b) rents guns for use on that range. Try them out, see what you like.

In GENERAL, for a first gun, I tend to suggest something in .22 LR, whether it is a handgun or rifle you seek. RELATIVELY inexpensive, very little recoil, and you will shoot it a LOT more than a .44 magnum.

So- what is it you want to do?

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Fonzie is correct.:D you should test various guns and calibers. It is part of the fun. I normally give this suggestion, but this is not what people want to here. I use to go with first time buyers to the store, but not anymore with my busy schedule. Well, anyways test everything, then purchase the Sig.:p

The moderator has a good point. We need more info. A lot of women are buying personal defense rifles in the AR platform for the home. Low recoil, semi-auto with excellent magazine capacity. Pump Shotguns are excellent with devastating traumatic wounds. Yet, they have a heavy recoil, and require pumping a shell into chamber each shot.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My uncle taught me a little about firearms when I was younger.

Since then (and after getting some training from a qualified instructor), I have figured out that my uncle was not so knowledgeable about firearms.

What I'm saying is "GET SOME QUALIFIED TRAINING". This will assist in determining what type of firearm is best for you.

Just like there are thousands of hammers for different jobs, so goes the firearms world.

11. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

My wife loves her 9mm Px4 Storm Compact Beretta. :)

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Go some where and handle many of them , if you can rent them and shoot them at a gun shop even better . First make sure you can work the slide easily on a semi auto , if you cannot you need to be looking for a revolver . Pick a quality firearm that feels best in your hand that you are the most accurate with . That is the one you will shoot best . Dont buy for looks there over rated ;)

13. freedomgirl

freedomgirl New Member

thanks for the advice

Hello, thanks so much for the advice. I will check into that specific one.

14. freedomgirl

freedomgirl New Member

thank you for advice

Wanted to thank everyone for the replies. My purpose with purchasing a firearm is safety reasons. Also would be a good hobby.

15. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

If your wanting a self defense gun, I would recommend something like a Sig Sauer P226, Springfield XD, or maybe a 357 Magnum revolver (you can use 38 special in those, so recoil shouldn't be a problem unless you get a really small one).

What I REALLY recommend you do is find a gun range that rents out guns, and try a bunch of them. Find one that is comfortable to shoot, that shoots well, and that you like.

16. amandaloveszoe

amandaloveszoe New Member

Hello. Well if you are looking for a gun to train with u def should go with a 22, i have a M&P 22 and i get so much practice out of it. I also love love love my Marlin model 60. You just cant go wrong with a 22. My carry gun is a Kahr P380.

17. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Ruger LCP .380 for small hands....S&W revolver .38 snub-nose for bigger hands...Like they say...Go to the range and try a bunch-out.....Happy-Hunting...

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The #1 thing is fit. It has to feel right in your hand. Find a shop with a good selection and handle a couple dozen. You will finid one that just speaks to you.

Next is function. You have to be able to operate it. If you cannot operate the slide it does you no good whatsoever. Revolvers are still viable options. A good Smith and Wesson K frame .357 Magnum revolver or Ruger GP 100 is simple to operate.

19. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i would need to know your comfort level with firearms. do you have any real experience with firearms? do you have any fear of firearms?

i second the idea of a 22. its the way almost every kid starts on guns. a nice 22 pistol or rifle will get you familiar with shooting. it is cheap, relatively quiet, and has zero recoil. a 22 is not an ideal self defense caliber, but it would get the job done in time of need imo. and feeling comfortable with a gun is very important if it is to be used in self defense. only downside is....you are in the middle of the worst 22 ammo drought that i am aware of.

try to get familiar with as many action types as possible. there are great videos on youtube and many gun company websites with a great deal of info.

once you feel good about how you handle a gun, move up to a bigger bang.

my 2 cents, probably worth less.

20. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

I'd recommend a m&p 9. They're great. My first gun was a glock 17 which I bought for long term reliability but the m&p is just as good and would probably feel really good when you hold it. I held one and fell in love. I'm getting one eventually.