First time at the range!!!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by winds-of-change, Sep 7, 2010.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I DID IT!! I went to the range today for the very first time with my own gun. I have a Ruger GP100, stainless, 6" barrel. I shot .38 specials and a few .357 magnums. Total of 62 rounds, I believe. I'll have to check. A whole box of .38 specials and a couple chambers of the .357 magnum. I had a great time. Here's a picture of my gun and one of my targets. The gun is going to get a good cleaning tonight. Another first for me.

[​IMG]

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

HAH! We have another addict!:p

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations! It's a great feeling isn't it? :)

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Outstanding, W.O.C!!! Congrats on your new adventure. Be safe, and keep those range reports coming.

5. WDB

WDB New Member

Congrats, keep shooting and enjoy the sport....who know it might save your life someday.

6. ironsights

ironsights New Member

great day at the range, congrats and welcome to the club!

7. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

That is great. Congratulations and great shooting!!!:)

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

(sniff, sniff (wipe the tear of happiness))

Good shooting! Keep it up!

9. winds-of-change

Thank you and you are all too funny. I flew out to California back in March to visit a friend and he took me to a range to shoot several of his 27 guns. I mostly shot rifles including an SKS, a Marlin and an Uzi and it was so much fun. I bought the gun I have under his recommendations as it being a good first gun. But now that I'm in Illinois and he's in California I've been a little nervous to strike out on my own with my own gun. You have all been so supportive of me and I thank you all for pushing me along when I was afraid. I had a lot of fun and I'll be going again soon. I even had fun cleaning my gun afterwards.

10. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Very nice. Welcome to the addiction.

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Looks like you're off to a great start with a great weapon. What did you think of the magnums?

12. winds-of-change

I was a little afraid to try them but I figured as long as I kept my elbows locked and a good, firm grip on the gun I'd be okay. I didn't find the recoil too much stronger than the .38's I was firing. What surprised me most was the flash. I don't know why I was surprised but I was. Actually not only the flash on the .357 but also on the .38. I did some shooting with my arm resting on a rest for the first few shots of both the .38 and the magnums. I think this gun is a perfect first gun for me. I really like it.

13. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

357 as a first gun...now that's jumping into the deep end. Way to go. Keep up the practice.

I have that same Ruger on my to get list, but I think I'll go with the five inch.

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

A word of caution: never, never, ever shoot a .357 without good ear protection. They are about as loud as you can get and it's really easy to acquire permanent ear damage...

15. winds-of-change

Well, there certainly are much bigger guns. :D My friend shot a .50 caliber Smith and Wesson. That thing sounded like a cannon and several other shooters came over to look at it. The Uzi attraced that kind of attention, too. Probably because he lives in California. LOL My GP100 was recommended to me as an easy gun to handle and to make sure it's empty and a good self defense gun should I ever need it for that.

I have earmuffs that are rated 31 NRR and I also have foam ear plugs........rated the same, I think. Thank you for the warning, though. I am very new to guns, having only shot a couple times before, mostly rifles. This is my first gun and my first time to the range alone with my own gun.

I hope anyway reading any of my posts NEVER assumes I know something but always gives me information, even if it is the most basic. I am here to learn.

You have all been very informative and patient with me. I joined another forum and they are a bunch of rude people. No patience for a newby and not very patient with women, either. :(

16. winds-of-change

I don't think they make the 5" anymore, do they? Of course, I'm sure some are available as used. I don't think a Ruger GP100 is a gun that wears out very easily. :D

17. orangello

orangello New Member

Congratulations on having a good time with it! edit* Remember, it's plenty big enough to pistol whip a mugger if you run short on shots.

I like the 6" i picked up, but i don't carry or use it for anything but LOUD plinking. Wikipedia claims the 5" isn't on the CA approved list, hope they are wrong on that.

18. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Awesome! Congratulations on your new addiction. :D

19. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

After reading the build-up to your first time at the range, this is great news of a good experience. That bodes well for a lifetime of positive shooting experiences.

Congratulations!

20. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I checked the CA DOJ list but their numbers never match the manufacturers. They do show an approved 5" Ruger 357 but not clear as to 100 or not. They show lots of approved 2.5"... just to show it has nothing to do with safety and all about extorting testing fees from manufacturers.:mad:

Damn I may just have to get another Smith & Wesson… poor me.:D