First Time AR Noob

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Kinetics, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Well i currently own a pistol, and im looking to get an AR, i have a parts list for a decent price, and i just want to know how the quality of this AR is gonna be. Im young and dont have a steady income so i can pay more than 800 on this. Here is my parts list ~

Lower Receiver:
    Plumcrazy C15 Complete Polymer Lower Reciever [PCMFG-C15-1] - $119.00 : Infinite Arms Inc.

Upper Receiver:
    Spikes Tactical 16" M4 5.56/.223 Upper Receiver

Rear Sight:
    MBUS® - Magpul® Back-Up Sights - MBUS® - Magpul® Back-Up Sight – Rear GEN 1

And then a couple of magpul PMags

Also i want to know if duracoat is a good option, i have spraypainted on plastics before and want to know what duracoating is like in comparison. Does it need a clear coat on top, if i mess up how hard will it be to fix, does it get sticky in the heat. . .

Thanks in advance, i realize that i am asking a lot, but i want to be 100% before i buy this

2. alderoth

alderoth New Member

I can't tell you what will be better for you because im not you lol but most companies from what I've seen make decent parts as long as they are taken care of and you don't exceed the round type that it suggest. People will go and use reloads that are way more than what their weapon can handle and then their weapons break or blow up in their face lol. From what I have been hearing, duracoat is the way to go. They say that once it cures onto the weapon that extreme heat is not an issue with duracoat. I wanna say they have a bake on finish as well but im not positive. Duracoat has a website, sorry I don't have it on hand, but they have a wealth of information on how their products work and it should make your decision easier. I used krylon paint and clear coat on my AK-47 with painters tape lmao! It was just a trial thing lol. But it didn't mess up from the diggers of competition shooting. It still looks the same so its gonna be up to you.

Attached Files:

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Skip the duracoat and use the money for the actual rifle. If you really want to paint it use Krylon from Walmart. Its cheap, easy, and will give you that nice worn look. Make sure to use flat colors. Shiny camo kinda ruins it.

Take a look at Spikes Tactical 16" Mid-Length 5.56/.223 Upper Receiver Its a midlength which will be smoother shooting and allow for a longer sight radius.

I'd also look into a different lower receiver. A forged lower will be much more durable.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good advice from mjkeat. I'd skip the Duracoat and put the money toward a better lower than Plumcrazy. You can paint it later, don't forget that an AR or almost any firearm is an ongoing expense. Kinda like your DSL or cell phone bill. :p

I also like a midlength upper and Spikes or PSA would be pretty reasonable. Your rear sight is a good choice but there is a Gen 2 now that sits a little lower I believe.

Think about building your lower receiver and I bet you can still come in around $800.

5. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

What lower would you suggest, and im a complete noob to building firearms, and i dont have many tools, just basic screwdrivers, hammers . . .etc. And what is the difference between the Spikes tac. that i orignally wanted and the one that mike posted?

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Do NOT get a composite lower!

Find a forged or billet unit.

7. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Okay can somebody link me to a lower that would still be in my price range? Also when you guys say to "build" a lower, does that mean, that i would buy a lower shell, and then put all the parts into the lower?

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Yes, buy a stripped lower and a lower parts kit, then assemble the parts.

Check out Palmetto State Armory or AIM Surplus. You can get lowers from these guys for between $60 & $80 plus shipping and FFL transfer fee. FFL fees vary, but $25 to $50 is the general range.

Visit a local gunshop and ask if they have any stripped lowers, they may be competitive. Its worth it to me to pay an extra few bucks to help the hometown folks.

9. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Okay so here is my revised parts list, dont judge me for my lower, im a massive zombie fan, and it is just the perfect thing for me :D Anyways here it is, tell me what your think.

Stripped Lower: $99.99
    Lower (Multi) Forged Zombie - Live/Dead Markings [STLS011] - $99.00 : Spikes Tactical

LPK: $69.95
    Lower Kit - Spike's Standard Parts Kit [SLPK101] - $69.95 : Spikes Tactical

Buffer Tube Kit: $61.95
    Lower Kit - Spike's Carbine Buffer Assembly Kit [SLA500R-K] - $61.95 : Spikes Tactical

Upper Reciever: $399.95
    R Guns Complete M4 5.56/.223 Upper Half

Stock: $57.95
    MOE® - Magpul® Original Equipment - MOE® Carbine Stock – Mil-Spec Model

I dont know anything about that upper, and if it is good for the price, im a little worried because it is cheaper than all of the other uppers, so i want to know what you know about it :D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I would learn A LOT about any upper I was going to buy! Read through some of the build threads here for more info. MJ pointed out midlength vs. carbine length gas, you really need to learn about that and barrel profile and twist rate.

11. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Well im not going to buy this for a while, atm im just scouting the parts, and learning about firearms, would you recommend any weapons books? Thanks for the help :D

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You can do much better than a RGuns upper

13. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Here ya go just got it together a few weeks ago, a Plum Crazy lower with a JSE Surplus blem upper on it, rings and a cheap scope.
    I got just a little over $500 in it & it shoots great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This upper has a 18" BD 1x8 twist SS air gauged 5.56 chambered barrel, it has M4 feed ramps, mid gas system, with a mid length free float Tube, M4 flat top upper, bolt & carrier, 3 prong flash hider, tactical latch charging handle.
    Keep an eye on JSE's one-of-a kind page they sell off the blems cheap & they go fast.
    JSE Surplus - 1 OF A KINDS & SPECIAL LIMITED TIME OFFERS

14. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I'd look else where for an upper like
    BCM BCM 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group

Del-ton Rifle kit
    Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Mid-Length Light weight Rifle Kit

Palmetto State Armory
    Palmetto State Armory 16'' SS Mid-length Rifle Kit

Maybe save a few bucks on the lower parts kit
    AR-15 Lower Parts Kit
    Just a few more options to consider. Like Quentin and Mj said, research, research and more research. Don't just jump on the first thing you see, shop, compare and contemplate. Don't rush through it. And i highly recommend the lightweight barrels, i went with one on my first build and it was the best choice i ever made :D

15. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Thanks Zombie, and like i said its gonna be a long time before i get my AR, i have a ton of diff. uppers saved in my bookmarks, but for that Palmetto State Armory link you gave me, I noticed it said .223 Wylde, will that shoot 5.56 as well?

16. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

If i recall correctly, the Wylde barrels shoot both 5.56 and .223 yes

17. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Alright thanks man, looks like a good deal there, if i buy that, it will bring me down to like a 700$ AR :O

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

While that PSA upper would be ideal for many applications I wouldn't choose the Wylde or SS. Look at chrome plated and 5.56 too. It's really important to take this time you have and get up to speed before buying anything. We really can't tell you what to buy, only what we'd buy, since we don't know what you want.

As far as books to read, I'd just start reading the build threads here and stickies. Lots of other online info too.

19. Bighead

Bighead New Member

Here is a good link from a former Houston police officer with lots of good information, including a lot of basic AR information and nomenclature. This is an older post, and has been constantly added to with new information. Well worth the read IMHO. Enjoy.

www.officer.com link: So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?