First shots with an AR 15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by molonlabexx, Mar 9, 2014.

1. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Wow...

Buying one soon. I freaking fell in love with the rental. So much fun at the range today. I never realized that AR 15s shoot so much gas back at your face (not a visible cloud but just the smell). It was so awesome....

SO AWESOME

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Chances are your rifle will be cleaned better than the rental, and smell less.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Careful it's addictive.;)

Built my first one in Dec. 2012, collecting parts for 3 and 4 now.:eek:

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Molon,
    You lost me with your explanation of gas blowing back in your Face! If was a 9mm Blowback System I might understand it. But with the standard AR-15 in 223/5.56 cal and being a Gas Impingement System it should not be blowing any gas back in your face. If it was an indoor range you might have been feeling the concussion of the pressure and sound waves inside a closed area. But Gas??????? But glad you had a great time shooting it. They are fun to shoot, accurate and a fine weapon. Give us some more details.

5. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

As I said, there was no visible gas blowing back, just the fumes, which was more overpowering than I expected. I have been shooting my whole life and of course know there is that certain smell in an indoor range, but this was different. It was in no way a turn off for me, I had a blast!

6. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It is possible that the rental had been hosed down with CLP and/or shot a lot, instead of real cleaning. Gunk, oil mist, or dirt from the ammo would be ejected with the shellcase.

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

It was my endear standing that a small amount of gas comes out of the charging handle area. I thought that was the reason for the 'gas buster' charging handle.

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The gas buster is for shooting with a suppressor which creates a higher back pressure than a standard AR is designed for. The results are mixed at best. It is not needed in a normally functioning AR.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Kinda like the smell of Napalm in the mornings!!:D

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Gasses used to operate the action are vented out the holes in the side of the bolt carrier as the bcg cycles rearward. You can smell the hot gasses.

Shooting an ar15 is like shooting no other firearm, distinctive recoil sounds, the feel is different from the recoil impulse, and the smell.

11. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Welcome to our World of Peace and Freedom.

12. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Totally agree, everything felt different! It was AWESOME!

13. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I thought ar15's were fun, when I was in Arizona I got to shoot a full auto m16! Thats a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk