First Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by JW357, Aug 26, 2013.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

Well the 10 day stupid period is over, and we picked up our first shotgun today. It's a J.C. Higgins model 583.25 distributed by Sears and Roebuck. It's a 20ga bolt action. Excellent condition, as you might be able to tell from the pictures. The action is buttery smooth. We paid $110 out the door, which includes taxes and whatnot. The shotgun itself cost $75. The choke is fully adjustable. Pretty neat.

It holds 5+1. Yes, I've already loaded it fully. I believe usually these models only hold 2+1, but I believe there's a dowel rod in the tube that prevents it from its full capacity. If that's true, a previous wonder removed mine. Not a bad thing at all. I was gonna do the same anyway.

Not sure when we can get to a range to test it out. It might be as long as a month, unfortunately. Oh well, for now we'll just admire it.

image-1220383850.jpg

image-1408316893.jpg

image-131996741.jpg

2. rb522

rb522 New Member

Very nice. I wish you years of enjoyment from it.

3. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Great find. Should be fun. Never really though about a bolt shotgun. except maybe an 8 or 10

4. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

My 1st shotgun

Attached Files:

5. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

Then i convert to this..

Attached Files:

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

I never did either, but we were in the LGS a little while ago and saw it, saw the price, and made up our minds right then and there. I can't wait to shoot it.

7. IowaSteve

IowaSteve New Member

The plug that is in a shotgun limiting capacity to three rounds pertains to federal migratory laws. If you're hunting ducks or geese you can only have the three rounds in the gun. It must have the plug in it and it must be such that the plug can not be removed without dismantling the gun.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some research on my own about that, of course.

9. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

He's right. Here ya go:

http://www.fws.gov/le/waterfowl-hunting-and-baiting.html

Of course state laws vary. Those would be the ones to check if you plan to take it hunting. In my state as long as you're not duck hunting, no dowel rod is just fine.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

11. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

12. Axxe55

dang it! i did, didn't i!:D

we must have been thinking the same thing.:p

13. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Well you know what they say about great minds.....

That they usually belong to throwed off people.

14. Axxe55

i be throwed off at times!:p

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

16. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

It probably never had a plug in it. I have a J.C. Higgins 16 guage that Grandpa bought new in the mid fifties from sears. It looks exactly like yours. I will ask dad but I am pretty sure it never had a plug.

I think you need the plug to hunt deer in Ohio but I am not positive.

17. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Yep. FIL doing a trophy hunt out there this year so we read up on the deer code one night because we were bored. They've got some weird laws like only 1 hunting implement allowed per hunter. If you're carrying a rifle and your CCP you can't shoot anything with your sidearm. So I guess if a hog starts tearing into your leg you have to find a way to level the rifle at them LOL! (I think I'd just take the fine on this one if there was a wildlife agent that was a D-bag enough to write it up.)

The shotgun rule was weird too. Must be 10 gauge or less, only capable of holding 3 shells and 1 BALL PER BARREL?! No buck shot in potatoeville! ROFL!

18. F4U

I have never really been much of a hunter so most of knowledge is hearsay from the trap range, but it does seem we have some screwy hunting laws.

What part of Ohio you coming to?

19. GunsGodAndCountry

GunsGodAndCountry New Member

That's so ridiculous. Where I was in north-central Ohio, deer were seriously out of control. I don't know why they'd place restrictions like that on pretty much the most abundant game there is up there. I'd rather hunters be able to have adequate ammo to take down their game without having to reload excessively rather than total my car because deer are dumb and want to cross the road right freaking now. I don't get game codes sometimes.

20. F4U

Mods delete this post if I stray too close to politics.

I think it is because we cannot decide if we are a red state or a blue state. When we are blue we can send some serious wack jobs to Columbus (not to mention Washington), that never get all the way reversed when we go back red.