First shotgun.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME, Jul 17, 2013.

1. CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME

CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME New Member

I am 19. I own a few guns already just not a shotgun. I have a 40 s&w handgun, 243 rifle, and 22 rifle. Are there certain manufacturers I should avoid? Any recommendations are welcome. I know the obvious Rem 870 vs Mossberg 500. Any others? Thank you.

Budget: $300-550.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  2. JW357

JW357 New Member

I just wanted to congratulate you on your username choice.

Good luck finding a good shotty. :)

3. CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME

Yes, seems it's not possible for me to change it to something else, so it will do for now.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Benelli Nova is around that price range.

6. Tjurgensen

Tjurgensen New Member

Really nothing better than the 870 in a 12 you can use it for deer to dove and it is the most reliable and tough gun I have ever owned and certainly a great bargain with it's price.

7. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

I got my first shotgun when I was 18. A double barrel 12 gauge. $100 from an old buddy. Not bad for a first gun, huh?
    Lefever Nitro special
    Made by Ithaca

8. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Ya know I heard from this one guy that all you need is a double barrel shotgun.......

9. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

+1
    You really can't beat the remmy 870 or mossy 500
    I spent a pretty penny and went with the tactical 590A1
    But my next shottie will probably be the 870, for kicks and giggles

Attached Files:

10. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the moniker as well. Question, are you looking for new, used, or either as long as it is in decent shape and functional? Any particular action type? What are you going to use it for\ intended purpose? All of these are questions I ask myself before going shopping for a new gun, especially a new shotgun.

New, I would recommend the Mossberg 500, the Remington 870, the NEF Pardner Pump, and the Mossberg 930. All but the 930 are pumps, and they are within your price range as far as I know. All would make a good "do almost everything" shotgun.

If you are willing to go used, and you know what to feel and look for, there is a very long list of shotguns to choose from. The pre-express (Wingmaster) 870s, Winchester 1200s, ithaca model 37s, and the Mossberg 5500 Mark II are all well made shotguns that would serve you well, and being pre-owned, will leave you with more ammo to play with on your budget.

many perfectly useful well built shotguns have become trade-ins, safe queens, and otherwise neglected (not used, but still maintained) as their owner's have gone out and picked up the latest and greatest. Some are sell offs to settle an estate or sold due to the intended recipient in the will is not a gun person, or because dad's old slug gun lacks the " cool" factor of a buddy's AR. Good deals and good quality can be found. You just have to go out and look for it.

best of luck, and hope this helps.

11. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

For a first shotgun? $100 gun sounds like a good G-D deal to me... And to be fair, I didn't say that's all he needed, and I didn't say that's where he should stop!!

12. sofatater

sofatater New Member

I think he was making a reference to Joe Biden

13. CANTthinkOFaUSERNAME

Either new or used is fine. Preferably pump action. And use would be home defense and any other defense scenario. It would also be used just for target shooting. And last thing that would be good would be 18-18.5 in barrel.

14. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

I picked up the sarcasm

15. sbeezy

sbeezy New Member

Haha yes sarcasm. I still dont know how todo green text! And $100 for a first shotgun is a better deal than I could ever hope to get. I don't think it matters what make or model at that price.

I probably should have had more to contribute than my bidenism, but I'm actually in the same boat as op so I'm reading all your responses.

16. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I would scratch the Winchester 1200 from the "to consider" list. While a few people may love theirs, they have had a long list of issues, and Winchester pretty quickly redesigned and redesignated them the 1300s.
    Benelli, Remington, and Mossberg are all good. You can go with a Chinese or Turkish gun if that moves you. You get all this discussion about pumps on this forum like there are huge differences, but the truth is it is a simple design concept that has been around since the 1800s, so they pretty well all work.

17. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Yes, the 870 and Mossberg 500 are the obvious choices, and as this is your first shotgun and you want it for HD, I would go with a proven winner. You can always pick up something else down the road that is more stylized to your tastes. Don't look past what is right in front of you.

18. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

+1
    If its good enough for military and law enforcement, it should good enough for you. Especially since it fits your price range.