First Shotgun buy, need insight

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by SnakeDoctor, Jan 13, 2012.

1. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

So im looking into getting a shotgun I want to get the remington 870 express super mag but theres no gun store around me for miles that could even have a remote chance of having it but I did find one its used from a pawn shop its the 870 express super mag in synthetic with a 25" barrel he said he could do 180 for it so you think I should get it? I was looking into the 28" barrel but is the 3 inches that much of a difference? ill mainly do clay shooting and ive used a 28" and was spot on so im not sure how the differnce will affect me so with all that should i get the used one or just buy one new? and the money isnt much of a factor on this but if i can save it im all for that!

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if it's in really good condition that's not a bad price. another thing is, you could get another barrel in 28" and swap it out if you wanted. the 870 barrels swap out in no time with no tools required. i'm not for sure if 3" will make that much of a difference, but my question is this, does the 25" barrel have screw in choke tubes? because if it does, then some your patterning can be adjusted there with different choke tubes.

MSRP on that shotgun is around $460 NIB, which means about $400 about at most dealers, so i say for $180, in really good or decent shape, go for it.

3. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

The gun definiately has wear but as for the choke tubes im not sure only saw the gun for a few minutes

4. Catfish

Catfish New Member

You won`t go wrong with it at that price, and if you don`t like it you should be able to get your money back.

5. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

25" is not a standard length. I would make sure it has choke tubes or it may have been cut. It may be a 26".

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Do you think it could be a 24 with an extended coke tube?

7. Axxe55

could be where someone measured it at, or a barrel length not offered anymore. remington lists two different ones for this shotgun, a 26" and a 28". quite possibly it's a 26" length barrel and was measured incorrectly, because i hope someone didn't cut off the barrel. it should have a screw-in choke tube if it hasn't been cut off.

8. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

I just called them and the guy said it had the screw in choke tube so what exactly does that mean? the thing that bugs me is that they are selling this gun so cheap and it makes me wonder why

9. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

the screw in choke is the rem choke,that makes it even more valuable,if you aren't shooting turkeys you shouldn't need a supermag(if that means it'll shoot 3.5"ers)but what you are describing is worth more than $180 for sure.

10. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor New Member

Which is why i feel uneasy about the price most people let alone pawn shops sell valuable items real cheap.

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

If it were me I might take a chance and buy it since that remchoke barrel would cost more than $180 by itself.

12. Axxe55

i agree. for $180, i would take a gamble on it. MSRP is about $460, so yes, i would. i mean it's a remington 870, what much could be wrong with it? they are built well and as reliable as a Timex watch!

13. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I say go for it. Take it to a gun smith and have them give it a once over. At 180 even if you have to put some money into it, you would probably still save money.

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

That's right,and 870's tolerances are so loose like an ak47,even if it did have a problem it could be fixed so easy.

15. jmeekhof

jmeekhof New Member

Maybe it was a retired police gun or maybe it was used a ton and that's why it's cheap. I you don't want it I'll take it. For real