First shot gun

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dalefan88, Jan 12, 2014.

1. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

Well I have 4 handguns, ar15, 3 22lr rifles. So now I'm thinking of adding a shot gun to the mix. Was looking at a mossberg 500 or a rock island m5. Then I went to my father in laws and he told me he wanted to sell his mka 1919. I love shooting it. So know I'm torn on what to get. My budget was about $400. Not sure he will sell it to me for that. It's probally got 250rds thru it and about 100rds of that is from me.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Since you asked for opinions, my $0.02 follows.

If I only had one shotgun, an MKA 1919 would not be it. As a novelty or whatever, maybe so. I would choose a more utilitarian style for a first and only. As it will be your only shotgun until you add a second.

Tell pops in law you only have $400 and let him respond.

But we still have a few freedoms of choice left. So you make the call. :cool:

Of course, you could get both. By the Mossy and say hey pops, can I buy your shotty on an installment plan? :D

3. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Look at a Benelli NOVa---They are ugly but are the toughest pump out there IMHO

4. glockfanboy

glockfanboy New Member

Just a few things to consider:

What are you gonna use the shotgun for. (Hunting, slugs, buckshot at the range?)
    If you are simply gonna buy one gun, and you want something for home defense, hunting, and a range gun. With the mossy you can easily find spare barrels for different uses and they are easy to change (about 2 mins to change).

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Glockfanboy asks the right question. What's your intended purpose?

How much recoil can you handle?

Etc etc.

6. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

It's mainly for fun. My beretta 92fs and my ar are home defense. My bersa ultra compact is my carry. So the shot gun would be for fun.

7. BVAL

BVAL New Member

Go fine you a nice used Remington 870 20 or 12 ga. Pump. The best of the lot is the Wingmaster series

8. glockfanboy

glockfanboy New Member

Pick what length barrel you would be satisfied with. and whatever you do, buy a Remington the had the interchangeable choke system. The older 870's don't have this newish system... There barrels are "sleeved" (the choke is built right into the barrel which could cost you $300+ to change once...) Interchangeable chokes will let you do pretty much anything you want with your gun. Like say in the future you would want to get into skeet/trap shooting and you have a barrel for slugs. Then you have to spend another $150-$350 for a whole new gun or barrel...

9. fordracing

fordracing Member

I also will be getting my first shotgun soon. I don't know a thing about them though. What is the differences in chokes? Do they change the pattern of the shot?

10. indy36

indy36 New Member

Chokes provide a constriction to the shot as it leaves the barrel. You want your shot to stay within a 30-inch circle at 21 yards for skeet so that's what a skeet choke does. Different games or types of birds you hunt will require different constrictions to maximize your chances of breaking a clay or killing something at different distances.

11. glockfanboy

glockfanboy New Member

Think of a choke as a funnel. You liquid (shot) is in some way forced onto the catching area of your funnel, it is then compressed to a smaller diameter and flows out the end in a smaller stream then what it started (or sometimes bigger depending on your choke.). :)

12. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

Think I'm going to get the mka first and wait on a pump.

13. fordracing

fordracing Member

What's the difference between 3 and 31/2 chamber models?

14. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

The size of the bruise on your shoulder? :D

15. racer_x

racer_x New Member

ive got a cheap sears pump an a browning a5 , if I was to go buy one id save some cash and get a good sa and pass it to my kids and there kids :)