First shot ever....

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Meierznutz, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Meierznutz

Meierznutz New Member

Do you remember it? I do because my Dad taught me the most valuable lesson he could...
    I was 7 or just 8 when I went with Pop to pick up my brother at our Scout Master's house. Mr. Beebe had 16 acres that we camped on almost every weekend. On Sunday afternoons we were allowed to take out our riffles and shoot on his range after everyone cleared out of the camp sites. I was still too young for Scouts but since my Brother and I shared a room and he had just gotten a Marlin 60 for Christmas, Pop wanted me to learn about firearm safety.
    I had just finished building a model of a Corvette all by myself and was very proud of it. Pop told me to bring it along and we went to Beebe's place. The Scouts were cleared out and those that would be shooting were setting out targets on the backstop. Pop told me to go put the vette on the top of the target holder. When I came back he had me sit with Beebe. I listened as Beebe described what to do, what I should see, how to chamber a round, and finally how to fire. When I saw the plastic car explode in the scope I was elated.... then sad, I had just blown away my pride and joy!
    Pop leaned in and asked, "Now do you know the difference between cartoons and real life? You NEVER point a weapon at something you don't want killed, gone, dead...never to return".
    Lesson well learned.
    My Kids never got to meet Beebe, he died two days after my wedding. But my Dad is thrilled that I still use that lesson to teach my kids about firearm safety. There is never a time when my kids (6 and 13) have asked about a firearm that I haven't stopped everything I was doing to go over gun safety and how to properly handle a firearm. I would rather they get curious with me than get hurt.
    Thanks to Beebe and my Dad I can pass this on to my sons.

2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Wow. That brings back memories. My first time, I was seven. My Uncle Lou, Dad and a friend of theirs was out back shooting the shotguns and rifles. They asked me if I wanted to shoot, and, obviously, I was elated. Handed me an eight gauge shotgun. They told me how to aim it, and the squeeze the trigger, and I'd feel a light 'kick', as it went off.
    Knocked me on my butt. I went sailing back, and my Uncle grabbed the gun. Then my dad looked at me and grinned. "Now just imagine being in front of it' he said. That was one lesson I never forgot. (And I was quite eager to shoot again, after my shoulder quit hurting, but then they bumped me down to a .22 and a .410.)

3. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

The first shot was a rock to the head, it just got easier from there.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

With the kids, and the grandkids- object lesson. .22LR high speed hollow point, can of soda. Rips that puppy wide open.

Lesson- if anyone ever says "it's only a .22, I want you to remember that soda can. It is a firearm, not a toy, It can hurt you really bad or kill you. NEVER point a gun at anything you do not mean to destroy."

Few years back, youngest son dropped by to use the range for his son's first shoot. Yep- a .22 rifle, and a 6 pack of Pepsi. Son looked at me, smiled, said "I still remember that soda can, Dad."

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

When was this c3? 1972??? Sorry man couldnt resist. Mine was a 22 w a 20 oz soda bottle full of vinegar and baking soda. My grandpa told me thats what happens to anything you want tore up so bad you cant fix it. Made sense to a 5 year old. I taught my little cousins that and made sure i said it to where Grandpa could hear it.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

6. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

My first shot was wild turkey in 1981 ohhhhh first gun shot oh ok I was confused sorry, it was a 410 I was 4yrs old

7. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Pepsi come on thats high dollar 22 fun ,go to a dollar store an get a case of their crap soda shake it up an let the fun start

8. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

:D I think I got that same rock.

9. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Glad someone found a use for Pepsi!

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I remember my first shot with a "real gun". I had used a red ryder bb rifle and cap guns before, but i got my first rifle a .22 bolt-action for Christmas when i was six. I was FREAKIN THRILLED. Now that i think about you guys' "object lessons" with the toy car & soda cans, i bet that was what my Dad was trying to teach me by letting me shoot that squirrel for my first shot...he probably should've picked a different target; i've never much cared for tree rats.

After next weekend and the tax season slacks off some, i bleve i will reclean that old rifle and put some .22 shorts on some tree rats. LOP is a bit short now.

11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You posters that learned early from good teachers are very lucky. My 1st shot was an M1 carbine on a military range at 18. Yes I had a BB gun but that was it. My parents did not own guns. NYC upbringing I guess. I found out my dad could not be trusted around guns. He gave away 2 of mine to a couple of his old buddies. I had them stored at my parents house while I was still serving. My kids started early and I used apples. Did not think of full soda cans. I really liked the Corvette.

12. Gert999

Gert999 New Member

Mine was a 20 gauge when i was 13 at a friends we just shoot trap. Parents weren't into guns, just got into gun myself teaching my 8 year old all about saftey though might have to use the car or can though it would prolly b a barbie. Which would be fun for me would love to get a head shot on a barbie!! They Hurt when u step on em

13. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

Besides bb guns my first shot was from a 20 guage 870 at hunter safety when i was 12. My parents are really not people so i didnt get a chance to shoot till then.

14. v-man

v-man New Member

We all know what you meant but you might want to edit that Biohazurd. Parents may not appreciate what you said about them. LOL (and then of course it leaves us wondering a little bit about you.) Just kidding. Have a good evening.

15. heartlessmcfly

heartlessmcfly New Member

Yeah I remember mine... But id like to forget it. It was about a year and a half ago and fired over 200 rounds with an ar and hit the paper like 8 times. I've come along way since...

tmp_fsquare.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FirearmsTalk

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

My dad wasn't a very good teacher...in ANY area of a boy's life. He gave me a BB gun, said "line this notch up with that peg on front, don't shoot anyone"

A few years later he gave me a 12 gauge mossy 500. A few years later I stole his model 60.

Never qualified less than expert on the rifle range, as I was shooting bumble bees on the fly at 6 years old with that daisy quick silver...

17. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

A long time ago, my Grandpa and I were out in the fields, and he had his .22 with him (I can't remember if it was with a .22 LR or a .22 Hornet) Well, there was this old tree next to a swampy pond, so he let me take a shot or two at it. :D

18. Biohazurd

Biohazurd New Member

19. mybigguns

mybigguns New Member

When I was 6 or so my dad took us to a sand pit. He had me shoot a Smith and Wesson 38 special j frame. It scared the heck out of me. To this day(40yrs later) I still hate to shoot that gun.

20. Bear304inc

Bear304inc New Member

I was 9 years old and was at a friends house, we were in his moms room when she was rearranging her room and lifted her mattress to move it to the hall, when I spotted her .32 laying on the boxsprings. I had never handled a handgun at the time and mistook it for a toy, partly because it was a old revolver with the wood grips missing, just the frame threw me off. I picked it up to look at it, pointing across my belly sideways to the left, I pulled the trigger. It went boom, his mom comes in screaming grabs the pistol out of my hands, that's when I seen him, my friend was across the room laying face down in a pool of blood. His mom still screaming runs over to him, lifts his head to see blood squirting out of his cheek just below his right eye. She really starts freaking, I start screaming, at this point I just imagining she's gonna shoot me, I run, ran out the door heading to my house. I could barely get the words out to tell my mom, she called for a ambulance then went to help, I being a kid could just imagine the mom coming to kill me, I hid in my bedroom closet for hours, it took our pastor , my mom dad, and my big brother to talk me out. The boy lived, bullet entered just under his right eye, spiraling through his nasal cavity resting in a bundle of nerves in his neck, Dr's couldn't remove it in fear of damaging nerves, so its still there to this day. Though just 9 at the time, it was the worst day of my life. Needless to say when I was over the shock and sadness of it all, my dad apologized for waiting to teach me about firearms ( he planned on waiting till I was 10, about 3 months to long) I vowed to learn all about guns and safety soon after.