First Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by NewYorkGunner, Aug 5, 2012.

1. NewYorkGunner

NewYorkGunner New Member

What's is a good first Rifle to buy and what caliber ?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a bolt action 22 rimfire! cheap to shoot. next to no recoil. good platform for learning the basics of marksmanship. Marlin and Savage both have very good rifles, that won't cost an arm or leg and deliver very decent accuracy.

3. NewYorkGunner

NewYorkGunner New Member

I thought bout that but I was thinking a higher caliber

4. Werminator

Werminator Member

.22 is the way to go... unless home defense is one of your planned uses... its so cheap to shoot. I have a handful of guns in a wide variety of calibers but I never get tired of shooting up tin cans with my. 22s...

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

trust me and others on this. a 22 is the best place to start for a first rifle, no matter your age. and the 22 will never grow out of favor. i am almost 50 and my 22's still get shot quite a bit. besides they are very cheap fun. many places you can buy bulk 22 ammo for $15-18 per 500 rounds. learn the 22, then step up to a larger caliber.

6. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

What is the intentions of the rifle?

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want a larger caliber, but still inexpensive to shoot, get an AR-15 in .223 (5.56X45 MM)

All military services use the 5.56, and probably will for at least the next 50 years, so ammo will always be available. Many M16/M4 parts will also fit the AR-15, as well as the magazines.

The AR-15 is the most popular center fire rifle in the U.S., so you can't go wrong with it.:):)

8. clem_

clem_ New Member

How about a Henery lever action in 22

9. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I would say a .22 also but I would go with a Ruger 10/22. Thet have been a top selling rifle for 50 years. They must be doing something right.

If you insist on a higher caliber I also like the 30/30 lever action Marlin.

10. mdauben

mdauben New Member

There is a lot to be said for a bolt action .22. It's cheap and easy to shoot and a great way to hone your shooting skills. A good one is also a lifetime investment that you can hand down to your children.

That said if you really want a "higher caliber" I would look for a .223 rifle (bolt or semi). It's probably the least expensive centerfire to shoot with little recoil making it suitable for lots of target practice.

Hope that helps. :)

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

New york gunner what do you want a rifle for?? Hunting? range /fun time? Defence? I do think for a new shooter a good .22lr is a must. After that a 223 for longer range or 308 for hunting?? Not many bad rifles out there. Find one that is in your budget and read reviews on and ask about that model. Here you will be told to buy ever rifle under the sun it seems at times.

12. NewYorkGunner

NewYorkGunner New Member

Range and hunting so FUNS the short answer

13. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

What kind if hunting?

14. longunner

longunner New Member

+1 for the mArlin i love my model 60 and they are all right about it having cheap ammo plus you can find bulk boxes of 22 ammo everywhere

15. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

The .22 is a great place to start. Almost everyone starts there.

I understand from reading the thread you aren't all that excited about a such a small caliber. The .22 may not seem exciting but the ammos cheap, and they're a blast to shoot.

If you insist on bigger gun (where's Hossfly with that big gun syndrome pic from the .500 S&W thread) then a Savage model 25 (bolt action) in .223 is the way to go. I have seen them in the mid $500 dollar range online.

The .22 that I would recommend is the Henry pump action octagon barrel. I like it cause it reminds me of the Winchester model 61 and 62 but doesn't cost quite as much. This retails for $515 in the Henry website.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  16. NewYorkGunner

NewYorkGunner New Member

I'm planing of going dear & dear hunting this season . But idk if I should buy a universal rifle or one for every occasion .

17. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

My favorite caliber is 308 win. Lots of info and bullet selection on this caliber.