First rifle

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by amfycoach, May 28, 2012.

1. amfycoach

amfycoach New Member

I am looking to move my son from a bb gun to his own gun. We have shot a few 22's. I am looking for a good youth model gun, any suggestions? Single shot, lever action? I have a ruger semi auto, not sure I am ready to let him to move into that, more cause its scoped and he can't see through a scope just yet.

2. amfycoach

amfycoach New Member

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

How big is he? I bought my son a single shot marlin when he was little. He out grew it in no time. I understand not wanting him to jump right into a semi auto. Cheap bolt action 22 rifles can be found at any pawn shop. You would easily get your money back later. Another thought would be that you dont have to fill up a semi auto. you could just put a round or two in it at a time until you felt comfortable with him. The scope comes off...right?

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Btw my son outgrows everything fast. He is 13 and over 6 feet tall.

5. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

if him out-growing it is an issue you can get something with an adjustable stock.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

the Cricket is an excellent first rifle.

7. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Agreed... this is my 8 year old sons Cricket single shot, bolt action, .22lr excellent first rifle for a kid.
    [​IMG]

8. amfycoach

amfycoach New Member

Thanks folks! He is small for his age and don't think outgrowing will be a big issue

9. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I taught my kids to drive using a manual transmission, and to shoot using a single-shot bolt action .22. Learn the basics first, then you can shoot / drive anything. Lots of good youth models on the market.

10. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I don't like the cricket because of all that "my first rifle" stuff, and the funny colors in the wood. It's always seemed condescending to me. I would recommend a Savage MKII. It will be very big for him, but he will use it until he gives it to his son, and so on.

11. amfycoach

amfycoach New Member

12. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

+ 1 to Rick,

get him a decent single shot bolt from a pawn shop. if it needs TLC such as bluing or refinishing, the two of you can make that a team project if you want. If you find a model that they sell replacement stocks for online, you can dismount the original and cut the replacement or adjustable stock down to fit his size for now. that way, when he does eventually get bigger you can put the original back on and the rifle will return to original.

Just my $.02

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

All above make good points. I bought one of my sons a Woodchuck(same as a Cricket) with a walnut stock. He loved it and still does. Everyone likes to shoot the tiny rifle. It is amazingly accurate for its small size and light weight. I would kinda like to have one for myself.

14. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I was going to say something similar. The cricket may be small.. but even I have some fun with it.

15. kycol

kycol New Member

This is the cricket that I bought for my grandson bought it when he was three, but didn't let him shoot it untill he was seven

Attached Files:

16. amfycoach

amfycoach New Member

Thanks for the input, there are a couple of auctions coming up that I am going to go to and stopping in the local pawn shops to see what we can come up with.