First Rifle!!!!!!

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by falcon11player, Jan 17, 2012.

1. falcon11player

falcon11player New Member

Going deer hunting this year....any recommendations for a rifle I should purchase I'm only looking to spend up to a max of $400????? And I also want to get an laser and light and scope as well....give me the info I need.....and any website links thanks

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

check out the savage axis and the marlin X7 series of rifles. is $400 max for rifle, or rifle and scope? because if max for both, better start checking out used.

word of advise, light and laser on a deer rifle equals poaching, equals, illegal. hope the light and laser are for something else.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope you are not going with a rimfire because you are in the rimfire section.

4. falcon11player

How does that mean poaching???? And $400 just for the rifle... Not including laser,lights,ammo,

5. kaido

kaido New Member

If you had the light on your rifle while hunting it would be classed as "spot lighting." from what I've heard deer and some other animals tend to get more or less stunned when a bright light is flashed onto them.

I'm not exactly sure if you'd still be in trouble for having your light equipped surfing the day or not, but it's best to leave that stuff off while hunting and only have your scope mounted.

6. humboldtshooter

humboldtshooter New Member

I wouldn't put a laser on a hunting rifle either, just my opinion. Maybe on an AR 15 or something, but that's out of your price range. Check out gunbroker .com and get with your local dealer to find something. Not a lot of stuff out there where you can get a rifle scope combo for $400. Also what caliber are you looking into? I just bought a Howa 1500 and I love the thing. It's very affordable and shoots flawlessly. You can find those on the website for cheap and some of them come in a combo with a Nikon scope. Good luck!!!

7. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I've edited this: Do you know your states laws on lasers and lights for deer hunting? Lights are generally used at night...shining deer at night is illegal in most (probably) all states.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  8. trip286

trip286 New Member

You don't need a laser for hunting, you need marksmanship practice. Hunting at night, except for some states and certain game (like some predator hunting) is generally illegal, which nullifies a weapon mounted light. However, it does happen on a regular basis that hunters are caught out after dark and need a light to navigate, so a good one in a butt pack would be a great investment.

In my area, hunting itself isn't worded as being illegal (in my state), it's firing a gun earlier than a half hour before sunrise, or later than a half hour after sunset WHILE hunting that is illegal. Again, certain game = certain exceptions (such as coon, and it has weapon restrictions)

You have a lot of learning to do young grasshopper, it would behoove you to first check with your state's game and wildlife agencies and become knowledgeable in all laws relevant to your chosen game.

9. falcon11player

Ok so no light....but I am getting the laser no matter what....the laws are.....ummm I'm just looking for a simple rifle nothing fancy...caliber .22 or .23

10. losack

losack New Member

HR Handi-rifle combo 7mm-08. Scope and all less than $400.00. All are accurate and reliable. Academy sells them all the time.

11. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

For deer hunting, the stopping power is debatable. They also might not be ethical depending on where you live. I would recommend at LEAST a .243.

12. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

I can't think of why a laser would be useful for deer hunting... But I'm a western muley guy. 200 yards is a close shot, and I don't think most lasers go that far... $400? You can get a Howa rifle with a decent asian (nikko-sterling) scope for $500 here in Utah... Haven't bought any guns out of state, cant imagine too big a price difference. I'd look real hard at a 30-06, not too much recoil, take most north American game (wouldn't recommend it for a grizzly)...

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ditto this. A .22 CAN take a deer. Does it mean that should be your go to hunting rifle? Hell no. .243 should be about the minimum you need to go.

A .308 is also a very mild recoiling rifle, plentiful ammo, not too bad on price of ammo, and there are many scoped package rifles on the market in your price range. Savage axis comes to mind, as well as the weatherby vanguard. These can come equipped with a scope of good quality already mounted and factory sighted.

I really, REALLY, URGE you, please check into your local game laws. You could have caliber restrictions, action type restrictions, ammo restrictions, equipment restrictions (laser may not be legal in your area), and magazine capacity restrictions.

14. therhino

therhino New Member

Please, please don't shoot deer with a .22LR. Unless you're close enough to beat it to death with the rifle butt, shooting at it with a round that small will just injure or maim the animal unless you pull off an absolute pinpoint shot. Skilled hunters use the correct tools for the job, and seek to avoid needless suffering by their prey. Hunting deer with a .22 fits none of those bills.

15. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Ditto that, and even if the ethics don't bother you think of the fact that deer can and will run like hell went shot. They can cover ground crazy fast even while they're bleeding out. I know a hunter that still had to hike a couple miles into a ravine to retrieve a buck that was shot with a 30-06.

16. falcon11player

Lol ok well .22 is out I guess I will go with .308....anymore suggestions ppl?

17. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Are you going hunting alone or with a buddy? I would recommend a hunter's safety course. (Here in GA it's required) No offense but it seems someone who is going deer hunting should look into things before asking questions like these. I'm not against asking questions, but a little research goes a long way. That being said a .308 is a good choice. I got a Savage model 111 rifle scope combo for $400. Will probably upgrade the scope one day, but for now it's fine.

18. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

Yeah...hunting isn't MW3...all these attachments your talking about (legal or not; in your eyes) just weigh down your firearm. This isn't just park your truck and shoot...its walking far distances to find a position of maximum probability of seeing a deer. It makes a difference. Some states like NY don't have restrictions on caliber...but you can't shoot from a rimfire rifle. So. 22s are out of the question for big game. And...regardless if you care about laws...you'll care when your posting bail for illegally killing a deer. So check the regulations. :)

19. falcon11player

Ok Thanks and yeah a few buddies invited me to go with them when deer season comes back around.....You have to start somewhere so Just asking around...

20. falcon11player

And im ordering the rifle offline...any suggestions on a website to fine one...reply with a link please